Fly Tying
utyer

Budget Foam THIN

Many of us already know that we can get foam sheets from the craft stores, and Walmart. Most of this is in the 1/8th to 1/4" thickness.

The DOLLAR TREE has 32 sheets of 1mm foam 4X6." The pack of 32 is $1.00. Color selection looks like this, at least 5 sheets of each color.

post-12074-0-83673000-1358884609_thumb.jpg

Thanks. Are they closed cell or opened? I'm looking for open as a filler for the bodies that I tie. The close cell is great for tying floating flies.

That was a good find Utyer. Another good deal that I found at the dollar tree is ziplock bags. Anything from pint size to bags that I can put a deer hide in and all for only a dollar per box. Take Care, Tony

bought some of that foam and for smaller bugs the weight of the hook was enough to sink the fly, which is ok if you want a slow sinking fly. used the foam over a body of ostrich herl.

Usually I find that if I stretch that kind of foam a little it sinks very quickly. The foam itself is denser than water its the air pockets that make it float. Wind it tight and it will go down very quickly.

Cheers,

C.