Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
michaelt

Thread

Yes, but threads marketed for fly tying have the best qualities.

Sewing threads tend to be too large, rough in texture, not as strong fir a given size, and/or made of material (cotton) that isn't as long lasting.

Begs the question: Why are you considering sewing thread?

Sewing thread is generally size A, and, at least around here, cotton coated polyester. Very fuzzy! It may also have a silicone treatment to make it pass through a sewing machine needle more easily. I sometimes use it for large saltwater flies, but not much else. Rod winding thread (nylon) is a much better big fly thread.

As Bugsy asked,. what are you trying to do?

Mike, there are a lot of different kinds of sewing thread, and some of them can be useful at times. I use "standard" nylon to build up and shape bodies - I've also used cotton in the past, and if you soak it with flexament, it'll hold up well in the field. I also use polyester machine embroidery thread (because of the bright colors) for heads and bodies on big saltwater flies. Sewing thread is pretty cheap and available at Walmart, so it might pay to buy a spool or two and experiment. Nothing beats dedicated tying threads for most jobs, but there are still plenty of ways to use the other stuff. BTW - Sulky Holoshimmer and Sulky Metallic are sold as thread, but are actually flat polyester, (like mylar tinsel) and come in some amazing colors. Walmart doesn't carry it, but you can find it in fabric stores - Mudhole also carries it as it's sometimes used by rod builders.

It's all I use. I am cheap, I'll admit. I have a supply of sewing thread and I am using it up, tying flies that catch fish. As has been stated, there are threads in the fly tying and rod building world that will give you showroom quality finishes ... maybe even make more durable flies. All of the threads I have (that still have labels on them) are polyester, so they should hold up just fine through a few dozen fish, which is about all one can expect anyway.

As has also been stated, sewing threads are thicker and rougher, in general, than tying threads. If you are going for tint trout flies, then you'd do better to get the appropriate threads. If, like me, you are tying for bream and bass, sewing threads work just fine for me.