Fly Tying
mybadhabit

Has anyone ever heard of a Double Renegade?

These double hackled flies do seem successful but don't seem to feature in many fly boxes of new folk. Almost like a well kept secret. I'm sure that at one point in England the renegade was then blob and boobie of its day and was banned in comps and on some stocked waters for being too good. Makes you wonder how these flies sink below the radar when they are obviously great.

Mybad,

For Strawberry, and Scofield, the most common sizes would be 4 and 6 on a 4xl hook. As a standard (two hackle) Renegade, I used to tie them from size 12 to 18. These days in small sizes I prefer the Griffith Gnat, but my brother still like to fish Renegades in the Uinta streams.

The double is usually tied with the center hackle. The Renegade is the fore and aft hackle. If what you saw had just two hackles, it would have been a variation of a renegade, If they were calling it a "double" they may have been talking about the double hackles (both being the same color) Seems like every old timer you run across in Idaho, and Utah has a favorite variation. I have seen them with gold tinsel tags, orange and red wool tails, and tags, and all manner of variations on the hackle combinations.

Mybad,

For Strawberry, and Scofield, the most common sizes would be 4 and 6 on a 4xl hook. As a standard (two hackle) Renegade, I used to tie them from size 12 to 18. These days in small sizes I prefer the Griffith Gnat, but my brother still like to fish Renegades in the Uinta streams.

The double is usually tied with the center hackle. The Renegade is the fore and aft hackle. If what you saw had just two hackles, it would have been a variation of a renegade, If they were calling it a "double" they may have been talking about the double hackles (both being the same color) Seems like every old timer you run across in Idaho, and Utah has a favorite variation. I have seen them with gold tinsel tags, orange and red wool tails, and tags, and all manner of variations on the hackle combinations.

I'm with you, Utyer; the Griffith's Gnat has been a go-to fly for years, though I may have to try out some of these Renegades bc I was unfamiliar with the pattern. Here is a recent Griffith's Gnat (included a hi-vis pattern and some variations) that I posted to YouTube:

I am looking for a pattern called the Double Renegade, has anyone ever heard of this before? I was fishing a lake in Utah and tried everything, but there was this guy who was killing them on a fly and I didn't know what it was, then he said it was the Double Renegade, and I tried to get it at the local fly shop, but they were out, and that a local guy tied them for the shop. It had black dry hackle front and back, but I can't remember what the middle was made out of. Anyone have any idea or heard of it before, it was in Cedar City, Utah, the lake was about 20 miles straight up a dirt road right outside of town.

Blane

The double renegade. To ty add three turns of brown hackle at the rear, add you peacock herl wraps

to the middle of the fly add your white hackle three turns, ty off add your peacock herl wrap froward

ty off, add your brown hackle three turns ty off and whip finish.

I was always taught that a double renegade Meant that 2 brown (furnace) hackels were used. While those tied with 2 white (or cream) hackles was a cream-puff renegade. And if you use 2 grizzly hackle (even died in various colors) was called a dead chicken. The renegade (tied in many various color combos) has been my go to fly since i first learned to fish in the early 70s...am i realy that old? The only differences i have ever noticed is that lighter color combos do better in the Spring and all others seem about equal on number of strikes if you try them side by side. But i did discover durring the 90s that adding a colored tinsel tag at the back increases strikes...i haven't noticed differences on the color though and use silver, gold, red, green and even blue to tie them.

It makes a great fly to troll waters with durring non-hatch periods as it will still find something willing to try it. I have caught more fish on this style of fly than any other 10 combined. If you do not have them in your box then get some size 12-16 ASAP. It isn't just a trout fly either. I have caught pike, bass and carp on them also.

The late great Bill Porter of Coeur d'Alene, ID fished renegades almost exclusively on the Coeur d'Alene and St Joe Rivers of North Idaho for their native Cutthroats.

I just had to throw this in because whenever the Renegade is mentioned I think of Bill.