Fly Tying
Thomas Schreiber

French Partridge imitating the Ephemera danica (Green Drake)

Great SBS ... nice looking fly. I couldn't make out all the ingredients you put in front of the camera, but I get the idea.

That's the first time I've seen the Thompson Whip Finisher in a video. I've been waiting for that, now I'll be buying one.

Great SBS ... nice looking fly. I couldn't make out all the ingredients you put in front of the camera, but I get the idea.

That's the first time I've seen the Thompson Whip Finisher in a video. I've been waiting for that, now I'll be buying one.

Sorry about that. Please ask me if you have any questions.

Thompson? So that's the name of the whip finisher. I've had it for over 20 years now, and it's one of my favourite tools. It's just s cheap china model that I maybe paid $2-3 for. I'm looking for one more identical for my travel bag, but I can't find it anywhere. I've tried all the fancy ones from CF and Petitjean, but none beats my beloved whip finisher. Beauty and function is in the eye of the beholder ;-)

Many still use the great Thompson Whip Finisher tool, though many have moved onto the Materelli. I prefer to simply use a hand whip finish, though all are (like so many things in our hobby) simply personal preference. Here's a recent video I made illustrating the various methods to finish a fly:

Thank you, TC. That's a great tutorial for whip finishing. Now I know how to whip finish by hand, I'll be trying that one when I get home tonight. I'll also be buying the Thompson whip finisher (that's the name I've seen online) and learning how to use that. I've got a Matarelli ... and I love it. I also use the half-hitch with the back end of one of my bodkins.

There's always something to learn ... thanks again for the video.

Nice video and easy to follow for someone who already knows the basics. For someone who is just starting out however, it might be a little difficult to understand and need "some 'splainin" (As Desi used to say) . :)

While it may look like a Thompson-style whip finisher, it's not. The Thompson has an "S"-bend at the working end that is perpendicular to the rotating axis. To use it, you position the inner bend of the "S" on the hook shank and keep this point in contact while rotating around the shank. The working thread is fed through the outer bend. Watch "technique #3" at 6:56 in the video link from tctrout.

Now look back at the tool in the OP's video. Functionally, it's very similar to a Matarelli design, as are most of the whip finish tools on the market. If you do want a Thompson-style tool, look for one with the s-bend.