Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nwt fly fisherman

difference between white montana mongoose and black montana mongoose?

I'm not aware of any white version. The older version has an aluminum body which is natural "silver" color. Griffin later changed the rotating block to delrin, which is black, for smoother rotation. The most recent version has more black anodizing and a different arrangement for the rotary tension knobs. The difference in the rotary handles is an add-on handle extension (available separately as well). So the differences between the silver and black models are functional to some degree. Better mousetrap?

The black one has the rotary tension knob moved from the rear(see the silver one) to in front of the rotary handle.(see the black one). I own the slver one. If you rotate back and forth alot looking at a fly, it will slowly unscrew the silver tension knob. They added the little black screw on top of the silver one to help this. My silver one doesn't have this. I think the black one is better in that way. They both have a delron bearing housing. My older one has an aluminum bearing housing with o'rings for bearings. I will say that in contacting Griffin on my problems I have with the vise, they have offered to replace my vise with a newer one. I haven't done it yet but that just shows there GREAT customer servise.

All in all I like my vise. Great hook holding jaws.