Fly Tying
GG34

Leader changes with fly changes?

Just curious on what other folks are doing. I usually trout fish with a 5x leader for most of my flies. Occasionally I'll change to a little bigger streamer. Do you guys usually swap to a bigger leader to turn over the bigger fly? Or are there any other techniques out there? Thanks.

Let experience be your guide. When you go to a larger fly and you can't get a good cast, go to a thicker tippet. If you go to a smaller fly and can't get hits, try a thinner and longer tippet.

I most often use 24 - 30 inches of 5X tippet because I most often fish size 14 and 16 flies.

There can be a lot variables to leaders used, but I agree with Silver Creek. Really will depend on what leader you're using when you make a change to bigger flies. I fish a lot of really big flies (Striper & Bass fishing, not trout). I've found that sometimes I have to shorten the entire leader to turn over some heavily weighted flies, as just going heavier with the tippet doesn't get it done. Changing tippets is fine if the fly change is not extremely drastic. The entire leader still has to work as it should, so adding a heavier tippet to a leader that is not sufficient throughout really accomplishes nothing. May not be a problem for you but if you find you're having trouble once you make a tippet change, then something to consider.

I was more considering just a larger leader. I typically use different sizes tippet within the small fly range. Just sometimes I swap to a wolly bugger and don't get casts like I want.

You just need to make sure leader and tippet are in balance and fly line too. If you are using a #4 rod and change your tippet up or down a litlle no probs. You can change your leader a little but don't want the butt to be too large dia as the power transfer from fly line to leader will be lost or at least dampened down.

If you use a leader that's thicker you may be being pushed to a heavier rod?

I was more considering just a larger leader. I typically use different sizes tippet within the small fly range. Just sometimes I swap to a wolly bugger and don't get casts like I want.

I nail knot 4" of .020" diameter (25 lb. test) Maxima Chameleon to the end of my fly line that has a perfection knot on the end and my leader goes on that with a loop to loop connection. Almost all trout leaders have butt sections that are .021" to .019" diameter so the .020 Maxima matches the leader butt.

For streamers like wooly buggers, you do not need a tapered leader at all. Just use a straight piece of mono/fluoro.

Streamers are more effective when fished with a sinking line or at least a sink tip line and a 3 ft. section of straight mono/fluoro is all that you need. They do need to be longer when using a floating line.

So even trout fishing with say a size #8 w. bugger, a straight piece if mono? Any luck with those sinking leaders on a floating line?

Really I can just buy mono and carry it like any other leader with a perfection loop ready to change out with flies.

Yep plain mono. Tapered leaders help a little for long leaders and dry flies but for leaders up to 10ft I use plain level mono. I agree a 5weight id look at 0.16 to 0.24 range of mono.

Just sometimes I swap to a wolly bugger and don't get casts like I want.

Again, I'm in agreement with Silver Creek. If you're having some problems with turning over a larger size fly, even when going to a slightly heavier tippet, that could simply be a tippet that is too long or possibly too soft. As long as the butt section diameter matches the line diameter fairly closely, you should not need to go to a heavier leader.

I also use a straight leader with a sinking line, and all I usually need to adjust is it's length should I get it too long. However, even with a floating line, & using sinking flies, as long as you don't get the leader & tippet combination too long, or too light, you should still be able to cast a Woolly Bugger with a 5 wt, provided as I said previous you're not trying to do something drastic, like cast a size 2 that's heavily weighted, which could cause some problems. It's still not impossible, but may be impractical. Size 8 should not be problem.

I've cast 2/0 size flies with a 6 wt. Not any distance & certainly not like I can with an 8 wt or heavier rod, but it still can be done.

GG34, you might be complicating this more than it needs to be. How long is the tapered leader you've been using?

Those lengths are not unusually long. What issues are you having when you switch to the buggers that caused you to state you don't get the casts you want?