Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dzura

Hard mono vs. soft mono

What is the difference between hard mono and soft mono and any brands I have seen it used in reference as far as bite leaders and building basic salt leaders

Hard mono as it suggests is fairly rigid. Amnesia is one brand of hard mono, although not the stiffest I've seen. It straightens well when pulled tight and encouraged and will stay straight. So it turns over heavier flies but so will softer mono as long as you can cast. If you coil your leader for storage, the coils stay in the hard mono and you need to re-straighten them before casting. Makes storing the rod folded a pain.

I think the hard mono takes abrasion better but this may be because the dia I use in it are so much bigger than the softer brands like maxima, sensor, trilene, etc.

For pike muskies, the only 100% bite tippet is wire. For fish with more abrasive pads rather than teeth, catfish etc hard mono is great. But so would soft mono in the same dia.

+1 to what Piker wrote. I use Maxima Chameleon as my hard mono of choice.

Soft mono is basically used for tippet material. You want it to be limber so that it will fall with slack for a drag free float on dry flies.