Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
utyer

Froggy Flies

I have been tying a few different froggy patterns lately. Let me know what you like and don't like.

I have been tying to get some kicking action from the legs.

post-12074-0-98019200-1366813257_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-69694300-1366813261_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-66998900-1366813265_thumb.jpg

I like them all. I would try the first one first. I don't know why, I just like the way it looks. It is about time to use some of those in my local lake.

maybee you can make some loops with mono to tie the legs on with that way they can wiggle behind the frog.

This is the best frog I have ever fished. The legs are pine squirrel and have great movement in the water. Solid black has been the best producer.

sfrog.jpg

I am a sucker for frogs. (and carp flies) though I seldom get to fish them around here....I like the center one the best. The mono suggestion is worth a try. Sandwich some heavy mono between 2 pieces of foam. Only use the doubled layer of foam at the top portion of the leg. Tie the mono to the hook so that it angles out to splay the legs and the mono should let the legs swim in and out and/or up and down. I am getting excited just thinking about it.

I like the squirrel zonkers and I also use them sometimes for crawday claws. I think they should also work well for crab patterns too. Never used them for frog legs but they should be better than rabbit zonkers because they seem to carry less water and would be better casting.

Keep us updated on your progress.