Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Obi

Peeping Caddis - the Case?

Dear all,

I wanted to tye a peeping caddis pattern on a jig hook, and in search of inspiration I found this interesting pattern in the net:

http://www.swedneckflyfishing.com/nh_peeping_caddis.htm

In found the tying-solution for the case very interesting - however, I got no idea how it's supposed to be spun. Could somebody kindly explain to me? A step-by-step tying-instruction for a similar pattern would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,

Obi

Hi obi. Good looking pattern. Haven't got link to the sbs but someone on the forum did show deerhair in a dubbing loop.

lay you tying thread along the shank and at the point you want the fly to finish, trap a large loop of tying thread and then tie in herl and lead and return your working thread to the thorax bit. Now wrap your lead (if you use some) for underbody. Then make touching turns of your herl up to the thorax covering all the lead. Now you put some deer hair into the loop you made earlier, spin the loop so the thread tightens and flairs the hair around, now wrap in open turns over the peacock. Trim to shape. Tie thorax head and all done.

Hi Piker,

thank you very much for the detailed description - makes total sense :-)

I am planning to tye a similar pattern on a jig hoog. Tungsten bead, no lead. I d' like to use different types of deer hair colors. Natural, rusty brown, black and light.

When you mention dubbing loop, I suppose that implies the use of a clamp for holding the deer hair prior to placing it into the loop. I wonder how that would get along with different colors............ ? And then I want to use a partridge-hackle for the legs........... Mmmmmmh, still a bit of thinking to do there. ;-)

Cheers,

Obi

If you want a really good random distribution of colours in the deer hair trim the hair, and comb it out. Put it into a large (oversized) hair stacker. Do this for each colour. Then give it a really good stacking. Four or five times what you would use to get the tips even. The hair will then mix.

To put it into your dubbing loop use a bulldog clip. The ones for freezer bags are ideal. Spread the hair along one side then let it close. When you offer the hair up to the loop pull the loop tight before taking the clip away. Pinch the loop just below the hair, and build up the twist in the empty section of the loop. Once you have a lot of twist let go of the pinch. If you try to spin the loop without pinching it, the slow twist can push the deer hair out of the loop. When you let it go like this it traps the deer hair.

Cheers,

C.

i cant see the actual fly because our security dept doesnt allow blogs

but i found this picture from that blog link

if the photo above is the correct one, the body looks to be of spun deer hair with a dubbed thread rib or a peacock herl rib imbedded into the deer hair body

if the photo above is not the correct one, then you get a new fly to try and to tie

here is a great example on how to spin the deer hair body. just use the steps in the tutorial to make the deer hair body. no dubbing loop required

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2010/02/11/the-irresistable-stimulator-by-charlie-dickson/

other patterns that have a similar deer hair body would be the "strawman nymph", "deer hair nymph" and the "irresistable" dry fly. GOOGLE them up for tutorials

deer hair nymph

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can284.php

or go super simple and easy. would be nice on a jig hook

Dears,

thank you very much for your replies.

@Crackaig: Good point about the hair stacker. Sounds pretty straight-forward, I will give it a try. :-)

@flytyre: That's exactly the pattern - thanks. Also good suggestions for simplifying the pattern. I was also considering natural hare's ear, but the idea about the multiple-color deer hair seems pretty cool. I will see if I can handle it. Thanks also for the SBS-descriptions.

I will give the stacker-mix-method a try, and then spin the deer hair without a loop. We'll see how that works out.

Cheers,

Obi

yes mix up the colors of deer hair in a stacker is a good idea. will give you a mottled effect.

dotting the hair with permanent markers should also work

i have used hares ear for a peeping/peeking caddis

casedcaddis2.jpg

lots of ideas here

https://www.google.com/search?q=peeking+caddis&rlz=1G1TSNACENUS400&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Q66UUaXNCInwrQfKhYHYCw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1120&bih=565

What you can do instead of using the Herl as a rib is to use it like LoFontaines Double Magic technique, where you wrap the herl in spirals around the deer hair dubbing loop and then wrap the whole thing forward, it would give it a more "random" appearance and also strengthen it.

Carson LeBoeuf

I think that's the idea with the original dressing, wrap the deer hair over the herl in close but not touching turns so it protects the herl. Another option is using one of the peacock dubbings to create the body.

another technique is take 3 or 4 saddle hackles that match the colors you want and wind them together on the hook, trim really short into a neatly tapered case.

Lots of good case styles being mentioned so I will throw in another. In a small container keep pieces of all your tying scraps. Everything but wire pieces. Chop them up and use them in a dubbing loop. You will have a great combination of colors, textures, depth, contrast etc. There is always deer hair in mine and it generally dubs just fine with all the other materials in the mixture.

I used multiple chenilles and then burned it. I can vouch for that looking like crap.

LOL. Ok we'll pass on that one. But did the fish mind??

I used multiple chenilles and then burned it. I can vouch for that looking like crap.

LOL. Ok we'll pass on that one. But did the fish mind??

I haven't tried. I'll give it a shot and report back.