Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
buckybrews

Striper Fishing

Hey all, I was wanting to start fishing for striper and was wondering what weight of rod would be best. I would be fishing from shore and a kayak. Any tips would be great. Cheers

i use an 8wt tfo fly rod chronicle model loaded with 9wt orvis intermediate line.. the fish i have caught on this rod all have been with an all white deceiver with a purple back... my 2 cents :) have fun tight lines

Generally, 8 to 10 wt is what is used depending on where & how big the fish are. The bigger rods will aid in tossing the bigger flies particularly from shore & with more wind, but might not be ideal from a kayak. I've never fished from a yak, but do from a Gheenoe, even with a 10 wt. However, I sit up a bit higher or can even stand so that might make a difference. An 8 wt is a good all around choice.

I've caught schoolie size on a 6 wt in small tidal creeks, and know of some folks who use 7 wts regularly in the rivers here. No single wt rod will be best for all conditions. As Wood has indicated, some folks like to over-line a rod often by one wt heavier. I'm also a fan of TFO rods, but have a couple of Redingtons too.

There are many choices. IMO, it would be best to cast a few different rods & see what you like best. Stripers are a lot of fun on flies!

I think tidewater nailed it. I have an 8, but it really stays in fresh water for pike/bass fishing most of the time while the 10 comes to the ocean if I go there. Ive never caught a striper that would overpower the 8, and even pretty good sized flies can be cast on the 8... but man, when the wind is really blowing in the surf, having that big cannon of a stick with heavy line is a gift.

I'd err to a 9 or 10wt (admittedly though, I only shore fish so maybe in the yak an 8 would be fine)