Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dirts

A lie to remember.

My buddy and I were fishing the Soo River in Northern Wisconsin. We were fishing egg sacks. The scenery scenery hugging the river was beautiful. We methodically worked up and down working the pools. We slept in the back of the truck in our sleeping bags. The next day after a bacon, egg and toast sandwich we started working the pools. After about an hour an older gentleman approached us. He had his rod in one hand and a backpack. We discussed the weather and asked if he had any luck. No he said I haven't had any luck at all. Not a twitch in his weathered face. He walked about the length of a pool away from us when my eyes took focus on the unusual. The shape in the back of his backpack was one big U.

I signaled my buddy and pointed and made the shape of a U. He caught it shook his head and started laughing. These two cops laughed all the way home. Haven any luck. Nope.

Thats what it was Mike. The result of age, experience, trial and error and a love of the sport. This old timer was a result of success.

I just wish that I could have taken a picture of him walking away. It was a kodak moment and a picture of a thousand words. It was his pay day. The icing on the cake.

My choice of the word " lie" should not have be used to describe a normal action of fisherman. Its standard practice when stating where you caught it or how big it was or what bait contributed to your success.

Perhaps you asked the wrong question. Perhaps, he chalked his catch up to skill, not luck.

I used to work for a public utility, digging holes. At the end of one day, one of my coworkers complained about what a hard day he had. When he turned around, there was a dirt print of two circles on his butt, an exact imprint of the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. Yeah, a hard day of sittin' on his arse watching his partner dig.