Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
green

7/8 wt rod

I'm thinking about getting one for pike and bass is it heavy enough? Will I be able to throw big streamers?

Green, no offense, but these types of general questions are difficult to answer without knowing anything about your experience level, or the how & where you're intending to use such a rod. Often it makes a world of difference if you'll be fishing from a boat, a kayak or canoe, wading or shore fishing. It also would make a difference if you'll be fishing in waters that hold smaller average size fish, or possible world record size.

Sure, without getting into specific brands & models, that's generally a good weight for Pike or Bass. However, how big is "big"? That weight rod will have it's limitations, and the conditions you're using it in will also add to those limitations. All fly rods have limits. Any rod we choose is a compromise.

For some fish you'll have too much rod, for others it will be about right & still others, the largest, you may be over matched. You should be able to cast bigger flies with that weight than you might with a lighter weight, but again it will depend on the flies. You're not likely going to cast 10" flies, particularly if they're made with materials that absorb or trap a lot of water. You might if they're made with some of the synthetics & they're light enough, or stream lined enough that they're not overly wind resistant. Distance will be affected by the combination of the flies being used & the conditions. For example, if you decide to try a traditional Lefty's Deceiver, (natural hair & hackle) that's perhaps 5" or 6" in length, and it's windy, you probably won't cast as far as you might when conditions are better. Go to a 3" EP style fly, you may do better distance wise in those same conditions.

Plus, of course your casting abilities will also affect how well you'll do with such a rod. Some folks with lots of experience, particularly experience casting larger size flies, will often be able to do more with a lighter weight rod, than a person who has less experience.

I have a Redington RS4 with Pike & Bass line.It throws large hair poppers & streamers with ease.I also have a Redington Predator with Sage 230gr line for heavy weeded situations.Both are 8wts.As far as the size of flies go I use sythentic materials because they absorb less water & are much easier to cast.

The biggest drawback to catching Pike & Bass on a fly rod is it becomes very adictive.BEWARE!!!!

Great advice from Tidewater. There are hundreds of opinions here, tell us more.

I have fished for small mouth, large mouth and bream where a 6wt was enough. I even used that 6wt for small blues, trout and pompano in saltwater. I have an 8ft 8 weight old fiberglass that I keep on my McGregor 25 to fish in the lake. It handles most bass and other fish. I have a 9ft 7wt fiber glass Fenwick that used to be my go to night fishing rod for large browns at night, stripers and bass. There are places I fish that I would never think of taking those two out. I would never take anything smaller than a 9' 6" Payne graphite 9wt.

There are so many variables, tell us more about what type of bass, pike or pickerel you encounter. Do you fish a small northern lake, large southern impoundment lake or the St. Lawrence?

Ok ill be doing most of my fishing from a boat on a medium sized lake where the pike don't get much larger than 30". I don't have much experience with casting large flies.

IMO, a 7/8 weight rod is not out of the question for what you intend. However, as I said previously, it will be a compromise & limit what you might be able to do, particularly since you're casting experience with larger flies is limited. However, if you intend to target those larger Pike most, then going to a heavier weight rod, such as a 9 or 10 wt, would not be wrong, and would allow you to cast much larger flies. But, a heavier rod might be too much for bass fishing, so if you'll be chasing bass more often than the Pike, you could still be fine with a 7/8 weight, and have loads of fun doing it!

The next step IMO would be to try & narrow down specific rods & cast a few to see if they are a good fit for you. NO matter what, not all rods in a line weight range will cast the same.

There have been many discussions about rods, so it would be a good idea to read thru them & see if you can pick a few that you feel might fit your intentions & budget. Unfortunately, all anyone else can do is give advise. None of us can pick a rod for another, so that it's the best choice for that person.

Let us know how it's going!

As stated above it is possible to use any outfit from a 5wt to a 10wt. It all depends on the size flies, the weather and water conditions, and your casting abilities. Flies that can be cast by an experienced caster might be much easier to cast with a 9 or 10wt. Speaking in generalities it is less work to cast a 7wt than an 9wt but as the fly size increases it will become easier to cast with a 9wt than the 7wt. I am sure this has answered all your questions and it is all clear as mud. .........If you intend to cast a big deep Clouser then you better go with a big rod. The same goes with large feather patterns and poppers.