Fly Tying
shep

Dragonflies

Here's a couple of Dragon fly imitations I've created recently. I thought they turned out well but I have to find a better way to create the underbody more efficiently. Does anyone have any suggestions for quickly creating the hour glass shape? My method of using a dubbing/lead wire combo is too time consuming. It would take me too long to tie a dozen of these. wallbash.gif Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ches

P.S. The top fly was tied with olive dubbing; bottom fly with dark green and gold chenille.

post-2-1106279466.jpg

a trick i picked up from wickedcarpenter and a fellow tier at the show here in michigan was using something called dental tape to build up an underbody. It is like large dental floss and can be bought where dentalfloss is sold. It works really well!

First, I like the fly, looks really good.

I actually have had this similar problem bulking up the underbody on my realistic dragonflies, and stones. I found that using V-rib works quite welll. Basically I just put a strip down each side of the hook. It ads bulk and not too much weight. If you need to add the weight, what I do is then put a couple of strips of flat lead on the top and bottom. Hope you find similat results.

gopher

Those look great!

I use lead strips on either side, but I've also done it by just thickly dubbing the abdomen and not worrying abotu it being flat. Seemed to work just as well.

Nice ties!

To get a wide abdomen, I've tied chenille on the sides of the shank. A little tricky but you get free gills in the process.

I've also got a blended yarn with a ply of mohair that I use to build up bulk.

Lastly, you can use felt cut to form.

Hi Shep,

You might consider no underbody and make the body from clipped embroidery thread...

user posted image

You can get any shape, any size you want, plus patterns, colors, etc.

Soaks up water to become slightly heavy (slow sink... good for lakes around weedbeds) or simply wrap the shank with lead wire before tying in the embroidery thread.

For a how-to on clipped-thread bodies:

Clipped Thread Bodies

Thankyou everyone for the compliments and great suggestions for creating underbodies. I've never tried most of your suggestions (mono, felt, and emboidery thread) so I'll be experimenting at the vise.

Rob I like that dragon you posted and also the link to the site. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Shep