Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tom19

Clouser Minnow Help

Hello, I'm new to fly tying and was wondering if a down eye streamer hook would work for the Clouser Minnow. I recently got a beginner kit and in the book they use a straight eye hook and all the patterns I have found online include a straight eye hook. Would a down eye hook work or should I order some straight eye hooks? Sorry if I sound like I don't know much. :)

Since the Clouser fishes upside down, it becomes an up-eye hook....biggrin.png

I've used many down eye hooks for Clousers, over the years, they work fine.

Actually I have found that most of the lower price hook suppliers don't sell a straight eye streamer hook except in Stainless. At least I have not found any. All I have found are down eyes.

A down-eye hook (or effectively up-eye as PHG pointed out) will work fine. I have also turned a down-eye into a straight eye by placing the hook in the jaws of a standard pliers such that the jaws cover both the full width of the eye and part of the shank immediately behind the eye, and squeezing. :)

Thanks for all the help guys. I went out today and caught a small large mouth on one of the minnows I tied. I'd put up a pic but forgot to take one :|. Anyways thanks again :)