Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Double flies

For years I have been tying two tricos (22-24) on a size 18 hook. Any recommendations for size of hook to tie on two #12 dry flies?

Thanks,

Tom

You want to tie 2 flies on one shank (not the same thing as most "double" patterns.) To tie 2 flies on one hook, you first you need to measure the shank length of YOUR size 12 hook. Then double that if you want 2 size 12 flies on the same hook shank. Most size 12 hooks are about a centimeter long, so your shank for a double would need to be 2 cm. or a bit more, to leave a small space between the 2 flies.

Some of the so called "double" fly patterns are not the same as two flies tied on the same size hook. A double Humpy has one tail, and 2 humps, 2 wings, and 2 sets of hackle. A double Renegade has just one more hackle in the center of the body, its just a fore and aft with a center hackle. Two flies on the same hook would each have a tail (the front tail divided in front of the rear fly,) 2 bodies, 2 wings, and 2 hackles.

One pattern that I tie as a true double, is a double Griffith Gnat. Its two Griffiths tied on a 2 or 3 xl size 16 or 18 hook, with a separation between each one. I have heard of this pattern also called a cluster midge. Easier to see, and produces well.