Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Heavy-handed Tactics (steelhead sculpin flymph)

20131019-IMG_8190-1.jpg

Heavy-handed Tactics

Hook - Daiichi Alec Jackson Heavy Wire Spey Hook/Model 2061/Size 8

Thread - 8/0 UNI-Thread (Red)

Front Hackle - Soft Schlappen Hackle (Furnace) - Tyed in facing out over the eye of the hook

Body Hackle - Indian Hen Hackle (Furnace) - Stripped on one side and tyed in over the eye of the hook

Front Body (Thorax) - Chopped Wool Yarn Dubbing (Red)

Rear Body (Abdomen) - Pheasant Tail Fibers (Natural) - The butt ends are wrapped from the middle to the rear, then counter wrapped with the tying thread to reinforce the herl.

Head - Tying thread whip finish, coated with clear nail polish

20131019-IMG_8191-1.jpg

The name of this fly comes from the heavy hackle collar at the head of the fly. This was an intentional design choice. I wanted to have a pronounced hackle collar at the front of the fly, similar to the head of a muddler minnow, yet somewhat softer. I wanted the profile of the fly to have some bulk, to make it resemble a small sculpin. I have not fished this pattern yet, so I cannot comment on it's effectiveness.

The construction of this fly is identical to the flymphs I posted earlier in the year, just on a larger scale.

It is hard to see in the photos (poor lighting), but the red front body becomes visible when the hackle moves around. It is intended to present a gimps of red, to imitate the opening and closing of gills. Impressionistic minnow imitation.

Like it. I've found the seatrout love a fly that pushes some water. I tied a tube with a heavy front hackle and slim body. I'll be trying some of these and on slim needle tubes too.

yeah i would fish this! either swung or drifted, best of both worlds, neato!