Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kuehlcenter

Idea for swaps

Hey guys, I just had what I think is a cool idea for the fly swaps. Would it be possible for the swapmeister to post a picture of the flies once they've all come in? Just a shot of the 12 or so bugs that the lucky swappers are going to receive. It might inspire some of us to get more involved, and I think the collections would look really cool. Keep up the good work!

This has been suggested several times before and the general feeling has been that some people would be/may be put off from joining a swap if they felt their flies would be shared alongside others in print.

Some swaps do post pictures of the flies submitted and this is fine if everyone joins knowing this will happen, making it the norm for all swaps may result in fewer newbies throwing their hat in the ring.

Getting a huge surprise is a major part of the fun in the swaps. I think it would take away from some of the mystery of the swap. If not seeing what flies are in these swaps is keeping one from taking part, then you're just losing out on a lot of great flies and good conversation within the thread. In all the swaps I've been in, I've only seen a few flies that didn't quite make the cut, but that's just MHO. I've had great times fishing with swapped flies, it's also great to try and duplicate the flies to become a better tyer. It's one of the best ways I know of to work on my tying skills.

Blane

I couldn't agree more with Piker and Blane. I like the surprise when the flies show up in the mail. Some flies are really awesome and some flies are not, but it's all good because you get a mix of both. I'm sure that some of my flies haven't been as good as some of the others in a swap but I try to learn from the good and not so good. So far though, I have never seen a fly from a swap that I would actually say was bad.

I hate having my flies photographed it always shows all the flaws and when your in a swap with guys like Tony,Blane, and Colin its bad enough knowing they are just going to razorblade my fly for the hooks no need to show the world how bad my tie is

lol. Riff knows his hooks are the budget ones so we don't even bother with those.

Seriously though. Swapping is a great way of receiving some interesting patterns and learning new ideas and Riffs right up there with his flies.

lol. Riff knows his hooks are the budget ones so we don't even bother with those.

Seriously though. Swapping is a great way of receiving some interesting patterns and learning new ideas and Riffs right up there with his flies.

Gentlemen, after reading through your comments, I completely and totally understand the rationale for not posting pics. It would be like showing my boys pictures of their Christmas presents before they get to open them!