Fly Tying
djtrout

who does deer hair streamers and flys anymore?

I have just gotten really into deer hair spinning. I tend to like classic patterns so they call for natural materials for the most part. Its fun cheap and artist.

Actually when I started the thread I was thinking more about spinning hair, but was also curious as to whether synthetics was gaining a foothold over deer hair. It would appear not! I prefer naturals and plan to stick to them.

sorry, didn't intend to post again. don't know how to delete.

post-24830-0-80265700-1389416283_thumb.jpgHair is awesome - synthetics too... but overall, I like the real deal as often as possible (some blended with synthetics too)...

Good old Thunder Creek is a good example smile.png

I use a lot of deer hair, for mice, muddlers, and clousers

the clousers I have pictures of, which do you guys think is better the one with more white or less white?

post-48140-0-45412500-1389645839_thumb.jpg

post-48140-0-53224500-1389645864_thumb.jpg

post-48140-0-27636600-1389645887_thumb.jpg

I prefer the first, but because of the relative lengths of the two colors. When the fly flips (is your beadchain enough weight to accomplish that?) I prefer to have my top color be the longest. Not sure if it ultimately matters to fish, but I am somewhere in the middle of the spectrum of tying for fish vs. fishermen.

I prefer the first, but because of the relative lengths of the two colors. When the fly flips (is your beadchain enough weight to accomplish that?) I prefer to have my top color be the longest. Not sure if it ultimately matters to fish, but I am somewhere in the middle of the spectrum of tying for fish vs. fishermen.

Um you know I'm not sure i will have to fill a bucket and see if it sinks right lol if not i geuss I need some barbells

Bead chain is enough to flip the hook. I've tied dozens of bead chain clousers, over the years, as well as other streamers with bead chain eyes. They always swim with the hook point up.

Now, if you have some plastic bead chain, that may be another story.

That is a real nice looking thunder creek minnow. I have tried several times to tie these since the early 70's and I have never tied one I was proud of. Nice job.

they are medal bead chain, I droped them in the sink filled with water and they sunk sideways WEIRD??

Not really, it just means there's more weight on one side than the other. Tie on a leader and drag the fly through the water, and fly should swim correctly.

On the other hand, it does suggest that you need to pay a bit more attention to centering the bead chain to make sure the weight is more equally distributed.

Benny.....The top and bottom of the fly also needs to be balanced properly. If the fly freefalls on its side it can also be indicative of the bottom of the fly is too light or the top is too heavy. If you make the top heavier the fly will even swim upside down. Balance my friend

Thanks ditz2. They are a fun tie and very effective. I like big ones (1-1/0) for big trout and bass, and medium to small for trout-bass or small stream trout when tied on down to #10's... I've never gone smaller. Have a great day - Will