Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
b_steele86

whip finish vs half hitch

in my experience, whip finishes are less bulky and smoother. I only use them on classy flies. as for the generic trout fly, I do 3 or 4 half hitches and then head cement.

Matt

in my experience, whip finishes are less bulky and smoother. I only use them on classy flies. as for the generic trout fly, I do 3 or 4 half hitches and then head cement.

Matt

I do that but I use an old pen loop and loop the thread around the tip twice then put then put the pen over the hook eye and pull the thread tight ( the two loops make a locking half hitch almost) then add a little touch of super glue and call it beautiful

I don't use half hitches because I see no point in using head cement on most flies. It is unnecessary on flies that are whip finished.

I agree. Quick and easy is what I'm looking for and I can have a whip finish done in a couple of seconds with a Matarelli.

For 35 years or so I used half-hitches to finish off my flies. They work fine, but this winter I finally learned how to use a whip finisher, and there is no question in my mind the whip finish knots are more secure than half-hitches. Plus, they are faster to complete and the whip finisher is fun to use once you learn how. There are some really good videos out there on using whip finishers, in particular this one by Tightline video: