Fly Tying
eide

February Flies from the Vise

Digging the look of that fly, we shall see where my next tying binge takes me, need some more practice with Speys and a few more in the box.

That fly box is a cheaper wooden box I ordered from Japan last year, the construction is cheap but solid, and wished the magnetic side had stronger magnets.

Diggin those colors Jam. Mighty nice of you to load up a box of flies I can steal..

Here are some juve tarpon flies from tonight..

SAM_2236_zps02008a05.jpg

SAM_2249_zpsfd35d85f.jpg

Finally found the furs I needed to make the dubbing for this fly......getting ready for Ausable Two Fly challenge in May

Ausable Ugly

Love that little thing. Is that a Fran Better's pattern?

TURBOMIDGE-1-_zps760cb0ea.jpg

LEE’S TURBO MIDGE- Chris Lee/Loren Williams- Variant – TMC 403BLJ, #14 -#16, TMC 2499SPBL, #18…

PT/TB

Yo Chef, i will have you sorted! Sweet tarpon flies btw....

Here is another blue thingy. Sorry huge ipad image.

post-29540-0-61257800-1391629246_thumb.jpg

BTW, what size hook is that?

Cheers! This time a size 3 which seems puny after dealing with 1.5 and 1/0's, 3 seems max size for the size of speckled i have.

LOL ya, I was thinking if that was a 1 or 2/0 it could work for my needs but I guess not.

Interesting, for Ontario around 1.5 to 1/0 is about my limit...If i want to fish bigger which sometimes i do i switch to shanks and octopus hooks ala intruder. Kind of figured out tying small shanks was a waste of time and materials when i can just chuck say a 1.5 midnight canyon or marabou hackled spey. Also i found at 1/0 for a single salmon hook i would really have to plant it home to stick, something that would launch a creek chub 50 m behind me into the bushes.

West coast seems different, generally some bigger flies to toss for steel, i guess that eliminates the hordes of pinks smacking your fly non stop haha

Here are a few streamers from the vise made with congo hair and hackle. Also my first attempt at extended body dries which are made with craft foam.

post-50481-0-24325800-1391645482_thumb.jpg

post-50481-0-88799700-1391645649_thumb.jpg

post-50481-0-01241700-1391646521_thumb.jpg

post-50481-0-59439300-1391646659_thumb.jpg

LOL ya, I was thinking if that was a 1 or 2/0 it could work for my needs but I guess not.

Interesting, for Ontario around 1.5 to 1/0 is about my limit...If i want to fish bigger which sometimes i do i switch to shanks and octopus hooks ala intruder. Kind of figured out tying small shanks was a waste of time and materials when i can just chuck say a 1.5 midnight canyon or marabou hackled spey. Also i found at 1/0 for a single salmon hook i would really have to plant it home to stick, something that would launch a creek chub 50 m behind me into the bushes.

West coast seems different, generally some bigger flies to toss for steel, i guess that eliminates the hordes of pinks smacking your fly non stop haha

I never fish above a #2 really, those flies wouldn't be for fishing :)

Well here is something different....A great big honking tandem 6/0 that is being sent straight to Australia for use around the FADS, you know like big Mahi and Wahoo, hell i would even rig it up on the 12wt and once a pack of striped Marlin has tasted everything in the spread flop this out there. I had to Actually turn the macro off for this fly.

Wondering if i should do a few inverted?? Thoughts on having the rear 6/0 pointing down instead? There is leadfree wire in this to make it swim true.

P2060083_zpsf4c02ecb.jpg

Jam' Nicely done dude! Hook point up seemed standard out in San Diego when I was fishing in the blue. Id leave them up. Did you make the tandem rig?

Cheers Chef! Yeah i have not fished many tandem flies so i was just curious and was cautious with the balance, i mean if i rest the tandem rig on my finger it rolls hook point down, i added the leadfree to kind of eliminate that. This tandem is store bought, but i just about have everything to whip my own up, just waiting on a few bits from Aus. There are a lot of Wahoo at the moment under the Mahi i hear.