Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

8'6" 5wt Bluegill Rod

This one is for a customer from down South that fishes big bluegills and wanted a custom faster action 5wt. Only input he told me was it had to be 8'6" and his nickname was "Bluegill Bill" the rest he said he was leaving up to my creative input and to just build him a rod he would love to represent his bluegill style.

So this is what I came up with for him, hope he will be pleased. It's a 8'6" 5wt Cascade Composites faster action 5wt 2pc. Nice wood insert set in nickle silver BUL5 hardware. The grip I trimmed the exotic corks with some blue to go with the bluegill theme. Then the wraps I did in Royal Blue Gudebrod (no CP) trimmed with metallic aquamarine blue and metallic silver.. The black under the inscription is all black thread wrapped about 8-9" long as a base, then lots of trim wraps to dress it up and then his nickname over the black base of thread. Finished off with Threadmaster finish.

l40i.jpg

5kb5.jpg

an2c.jpg

p8gy.jpg

80tg.jpg

I guess I am starting to warm up to the matte finish rods ... or I just like this one because it sets off the blue (my favorite color) wraps so well.

If I get to buying another rod from you, Steve ... it'll be something like this one.

I agree the matte finish does set off the blue wraps. I bet it will set off other colors as well. Emerald green and red may pop as well. Thats a sweet rod!