Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eric_sthjrsy

Heading to SLOVENIA--WHAT FLIES for June

Just getting out of a school (Arizona....had absolutely no time to fish)....but going to head to Slovenia for a trip in Mid-June. I ususally fish around the Bled area (Savah Bohikja) Does anyone have any info on a few nymphs and a few dries that would be good that time of year at that location. My default is usually streamers which work well there...but would like to have more success with Dries in the evening

Can't comment on that specific area but you are going to be wanting to match the hatch for dries anywhere this time of year. Carry some generic sedge patterns in a couple of sizes. Olives in couple of sizes. Some adams and some smut patterns and you cant go far wrong?

http://issuu.com/rdbled/docs/rd_bled_zgibanka_2012/8?e=7959573/2216058

In the Bled club brochure ^^ they have a page showing cased caddis, olives and various stone clinging nymphs so I think the above selection with streamers added would be great.

Look forward to seeing the pics.

Yeah... I caught some decent ones on black caddis last year... but my knowledge is so limited I can only tie one type of caddis so far..... differ colors but only one type. I am working on the Adams...although I don't know if I will have a product worthy of using by then. When you say "Olives" in a few sizes are you talking BWO??

Sorry I should say 'upright wing dries' I group them all as Olives, apart from the mayfly Ephemera danica which we call Mayflys in UK.

BWO imitations will cover a range of upright wing dry flies. Hendricksons, Wulfs, paraduns etc. The trick is fishing a fly the size the fish expect to see and then presenting it in a good drift so it looks right. Personally I dont think colour all that important but muted olives and tan are always going to be something like the real ones. So long as there are some sedge hatching, again I dont think it matters which pattern you go with but size does. Saying that, sometimes you'll want a v buoyant one like a humpy and other times something a bit more drowned like a polywing caddis.

Don't pass up soft hackle wets and small grubs. The grayling -- or lipe IIRC -- there love them.

Rocco