Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KOKOEK9

Hooks

A friend on another board like the dohimoto hooks, and I use a lot Maruto hooks. The Maruto I use are light wire barbless dry fly for the most part and they are not for putting 0x on ripping bass from the pads. Properly played on light tippet they seem fine from what I've experienced and others have but they will straighten if overpowered. They have a fairly small eye so that helps in keeping your tippet light, but I really like the curve of them and the fact that they have a slightly upturned eye which, for some reason, is just easier for me to not crowd the eye and end up blocking part of it. So I'm happy with the Maruto I've ordered form the auction site and my friend, who ties for several other people is happy with what I call his doohickey hook.

I used to import some Maruto hooks when I tied commercially. They're the oldest hook company in Japan. Never had any problems with those that I used. Still have some, and I've gotten them from an EBay seller in recent years. IMO, their hooks are like any other, select the correct hook for what you're tying and you should'nt have a problem. I occasionally found deformed hooks in bulk boxes, but think that might be the case with any brand.

The only dohimoto hooks I've used are worm hooks for plastic baits. No issues there either, but prefer other brands.