Fly Tying

Anyone know the formula for tying a saltwater Squimp? From the one I have, I appears to be a TMC 800S hook (#6), a cream craft fur tail (although I imagine that you could use calf tail or other), tan speckled crazy legs in back (folded back on either side), x-sm yellow dumbbell eyes, a tapered body wrapped from I think, ultra chenille wrapped forward with a fine copper wire, pearl krystal flash, an upper wing of cream craft fur and another set of legs tied forward and back on either side at the eye.

This is a great Permit/bonefish fly in the Yucatan. Thank you for any assistance/advice that you can offer this beginner.
r

post-52911-0-37411300-1398717465_thumb.jpg

As you described it. You can also use laserdub or wiggle dub for the body, or any dubbing really.

Thank you. Dubbing loop? Regular? Either?

r

I prefer it in a loop or brush as I want that fat buggy look but tighter if you need it to sink faster.

One of my favorite patterns! As stated the body can be different materials. I believe the original recipe was simply chenille, but I also like a dubbed body. The dubbing method nor the materials used will matter. Use what looks good, that's my approach. I also like the bodies on the fat side & always like "buggy".

I'm sure the exact colors of the various parts are not critical either. I've tied many variations & they all seem to work well. IMO, the basic profile & movement of the tail materials & legs is what makes it so attractive, not the colors. It looks like a lot of things that fish eat. Try different variations!

The Squimp is an excellent saltwater pattern, and is as fine a crayfish fly for bass or carp as you will find, particularly since it's so simple to tie. smile.png .

Thank you all so much. Very helpful. This one made with kip tail tail, pseudo hair wing and SLF saltwater dubbing. I agree about the dubbed body, more control, more variation. Again, thank you.

r

post-52911-0-40506600-1398853929_thumb.jpg