Fly Tying

FFF South East Expo in North Carolina May 16 & 17

Is anyone going this weekend? I'll be there both days as an exhibition tyer. Look for me bent over a vise tying streamers and dry flies.

Paul Tidroski

I haven't heard much about it and the southeastfff.org website doesn't provide much info as well. Do you have any other website with more information?

If you click on "Council News" you can find a little bit of info. You have to click on some of the hotlinks (blue text) and hunt around. I agree you'd think they would have a program or brochure or something.

There was a fly fishing expo in Fletcher NC in December 2013... hopefully there will be another one this year. I'd find that interesting.

I was going to go this year, but it's just a bit far from Atlanta. I was really hyped to go though....it's one of the first ones I've really heard of around here.

I drove up from Tampa. Did you see that Steve Rajeff is going to be there? It is worth a trip to see him cast a fly rod.

That's awesome.....yeah I just have the option to either go fishing Saturday, or hit up the festival....really hard choice, but I've tied a bunch of flies I want to try, and I haven't been fishing in over a month....I'll make the final decision a little closer to time....it's a tough one though!!

BigHenderson, go to the festival in the afternoon after fishing at the Tuckaseegee in the morning.... Bam! Problem solved..

Missed this thread, somehow. Yeah, we need to do a better job of publicizing the program. The casting program was great, as usual, and Steve Rajeff was awesome! I attended his class on distance casting, and picked up a few helpful pointers. He also pointed out a few flaws in my casting stroke that I need to work on. Well worth the time and money.

I was also a demo tier. I got a bit lazy about it, though, and only did a few of Catskill style drys. We had some great talent at the tying tables, though, including the 2013 Buz Buszek award winner Walt Holman. His poppers are absolute works of Art!

Anyway, we'll be doing it again next year. Probably the same time (3rd weekend in May), and the same place (the Ramsey Center at WCU). I'll try to get y'all more detailed information by early Dec. so you can make your plans.

phg (SEC-IFFF Board member and Fly Tying Co-Chair)

SEC%20fly%20fair.jpgSEFFF-Festival.jpg?format=750w

The 2014 Southeastern Fly Fishing Festival will be held at The Ramsey Center at Western Carolina University on May 16 - 17, 2014.

The Festival Committee is in the home stretch on this year's Festival. It will be a fun-filled weekend of programs, presenters and exhibitors. We expect to have at least forty exhibitors and forty tiers in attendance. In addition to numerous (mostly free) presentations and classes, the Cullowhee area offers non-fishing activities for the entire family. Download the Master Festival Schedule here.

We are pleased have Steve Rajeff (CBOG; MCI) and Leslie Holmes (CBOG; MCI; THCI) headline our talented group of casting instructors. In addition to two days of casting instruction offered by some of the best instructors in the country, you will also be able to take the tests to become a CCI, MCI or THCI. Don't forget to register in advance. If you are taking a casting class, please remember to bring your own rod. Rods are not provided.

For the first time, our instructors are offering "Casting Tune-Ups". “Casting Tune-Up” is a one-on-one casting analysis 30-minute session with a Master Casting Instructor using recorded video. Friday's session is full. Sign up now for Saturday afternoon!!

On Friday night, we have once again teamed up with the folks at Little River TU to host the Back the Brookie BBQ. All profits from this event will support brook trout restoration in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Hunter Banks and Highland Brewing Company have generously sponsored the beer for this event.

84008079.jpg?format=500w
Leslie Holmes

On Saturday night, you won't want to miss our banquet and great auction items. Thanks to Jesse Brown's Outdoors for providing a Yeti Cooler, Sage One rod and a pair of Costa sunglasses for the event.

The Festival is open to the public. The hours are 9am to 4pm on both Friday and Saturday. Admission is $5 and $10 per day for individuals and families, respectively. Disabled veterans and Scouts in uniform will be admitted free of charge.

Pre-registration closes on Tuesday, May 13th; however, spots in classes with openings will be for sale onsite. A limited number of BBQ and banquet tickets will also be for sale onsite. Please note that, due to University policy, we are unable to sell drink tickets for the BBQ or the banquet onsite. So, if you are thirsty, please pre-register. Click here for directions to the venue.

Please join us in Cullowhee for the best fly fishing education event in the Southeast. It will be a weekend to remember. We have currently hotel rooms blocked out as well as cabin rentals. It is not too late to be part of our Festival.

Please check the website regularly for updates.

If yoy have any questiolns, please contact: [email protected]

It's going to be a great show!