Fly Tying
Alex C.

fishing quotes

Here is one for ya!!

I fish because I love to: because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly: because of all television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape: because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion: because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience: because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waist the trip: because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters: because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness: because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there: because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid: and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant---and not nearly so much fun.

Robert Traver

TESTAMENT OF A FISHERMAN

(written before cell phones)

STEELHEAD BABY!! OOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!

I don't think the guy in that car that I chased down the road thought it was that funny laugh.gif

No, I dont know which specific bugs are involved and, at the risk of insulting the entomologists,Im not sure how much it would matter if i did. When the fall comes off, you fish a red quill or rusty spinner pattern in the appropiate size. When it dosnt come off,knowing the latin name of the insect thats mysterously absent let you piss and moan in a dead language, but otherwise dosnt help.

Sex,Death and Fly-Fishing

by John Gierach

I love that quote.

"I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean - A River Runs Through It

"In out family, there is no true line between religion and fly fishing. We lived at the junction of great trout rivers in western Montana, and our father was a Presbyterian minister and a fly fisherman who tied his own flies and taught others. e told us about Christ's disciples being fisherman, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fisherman on the Sea of Galilee were fly fisherman and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman." - Norman Maclean again!

That last one puts that whole book in perspective.

Read it I bet 4 times and learn new stuff everytime!

You could quote any line from a John Gierach Book he is a awsome writer, and the king of one liners!

FM

Lessee if I can remember what I wrote for English today:

"Oh how do I begin to write a song

About the flavor that I most desire?

At first it swims in rivers, swift and strong,

It lies in wait in place without fire.

Fish on! Fish on! Excitement, jump and sway,

The fight is brief, and what? It gets away."