Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

parachute wing post

if its perfectly ok to trim a synthetic fiber wing post to length, why is it such a violation to trim a natural material wing post?

smile.png

Just because it looks sooooo much better if it's stacked and tied in to the correct length. My question would be, if you are going to trim it why use a natural material?

Don't think the fish think it's a violation. I don't think it's 'violating' anything but... this makes me ask - does cutting natural materials off when used in a post, does this open up any fibers that would allow water to then wick down into the natural material?? If it did, then maybe the post would take on some added weight to the fly, and if it's a dry fly, then cause a bit of a floatation issue, ... maybe.

BCT

Hi flytire,

We don't think it's a violation as far as the functionality of the fly goes. From there, beauty is in the eye of the beholder though often other tiers will view a trimmed natural wing as an indicator of tying skills (or lack of skills). You have to make the choice. Take care & ...