Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
centerx

Punk Rocker Style Deer Hair Fly Question

Pretty straight forward question. How are the fins and "mohawk" attached? I assume they are glued into place after the body is trimmed. If so, any special process or glue involved? If the process already is published feel free to direct me to it.

Just looks like a fun way to spend the upcoming winter months. Thanks in advance for any information.

Yep, I just use a bit of super glue on the end of the feather and stick it into the deer hair. it seems to work well and dries fast. Im sure there are tons of glues you could potentially use though.

Thanks! Any other "tricks". For example are you trying to get it all the way to the base or just contact with the surface of the fly?

Do you use a bodkin to open up the deer hair to insert the feather?

it's number 13186 in the fly pattern database, but not much info except ingredients.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fSLocpP5dQ

Not the greatest video in terms of teaching how to tie the fly - specifically with the mohawk and the fins as Centerex was asking... but a decent video made better as it sounds like it's narrated by the late great Casey Kasem

I didn't preview the video (security at work doesn't allow them) and its not mine but it sounds like Barry White should be singing in the background :)

Something else

http://guysfliesandpies.blogspot.com/2011/01/punk-rocker.html

If you can find better instructions please feel free to post them

My feeble attempt at a punk rocker hes been bounced around alittle since i made him but i just glued mine in

post-53702-0-67033200-1410125755_thumb.jpg

Banks

That's pretty good! A lot of people would love to be able to do that well, especially first try.

Banks

That's pretty good! A lot of people would love to be able to do that well, especially first try.

Thanks FlaFly I watched all his video's . To be honest I wasnt sure about mohawk either