Fly Tying
Troutbum11

Fly Reel for an 8wt

I have an Okuma SLV 8 weight reel I bought brand new on Ebay for $54, free shipping. They have more, just have a look. I've used it happily for years. It's an excellent reel for the price.

Switch... unrelated but I really like the Baby Boy hopper on your blog site.

FlaFly, don't know if you know or know of Ben Treppa here on the board but he is an avid fly fisherman for many species and when I told him I was looking for a reel, he recommended the one I gave a link to above. I trust his advice and wasn't sorry and will be ordering a couple more. Whether I know what I'm talking about or not when it comes to tackle can certainly be questioned as I'm not a tackle buff but to be honest, unless you're fishing for fish larger than 30lbs or are pelagic or using ultra light tippet, you can use a tunafish can to hold your line. These are smooth reels and seem to have a pretty decent drag on them.

Kirk

That's what I meant by "good reviews"........ you said you got one and liked it. Also it is a good name company and lots of reviews here and other places. The ones I have seen on ebay were just pictures, with no brand name or other info provided. I'd never touch one unless a fellow fisher said they were OK.

I have been using my first Medalist for 45 years. I have 2 or 3 that others have used and abused and I just cleaned and lubed them and took them fishing. I have 2 of the Chinese made models that I have had for about 6 years. I have never repaired any of them even after use in the salt. Just clean and re-lube. ........I am in the market for another reel and I just may give the one Kirk suggested a try. The medalist have been going up in price and $24 is my kind of price. Just wished they offered them a little bigger. I have been looking at the Okuma SLV in the largest size to go on a 7wt glass rod. The main use will be for bass and carp. Maybe a little light salt use.

Real quick ( no pun intended), Okuma's warranty service gets my approval. I snapped my #3 rod with a snag in a tree. I called Okuma up, told them as much because I wanted to get a new section. I was advised to send only the lower section back with a check for $14.95, viola, new rod arrived a few days later. Granted, not related to a reel, but it was assuring that they took care of me despite myself.

Sorry for the mild hijack.

Hey Kirk...Should I assume that these reels are left and right hand retrieve?

ditz, it came right hand retrieve and I like left hand retrieve. I removed a piece and flipped the set of bearings inside the arbor cylinder and it works left handed. I'd have to look at it to give specifics, wasn't as simple as some reels where you flip a wire spring or clip but it was easy enough.

Kirk

Kirk,

Why are the black color reels around $23 and all the other colors are $99.99?

Also, how safe is it to order one using a credit card? I don't have Paypal.

Thanks

Dave, that was a mystery to me too. I got the camo one for my 3wt and it was 23 and it is aluminum so I don't know why the unfinished aluminum one is 99. I used PayPal but by the number of sales and high ratings the seller has, I would think it is about as safe as any other outlet store to use credit card. It did take a couple weeks to come in but that is normal when getting stuff from way over there.

Kirk

Well Kirk I just ordered one of these reels. I had been considering an Okuma SLV to put a 7wt line on. I don't buy spare spools but spare reels seem to be a better answer to me and one of these new fangled reels will be a nice change of pace to my old Medalists. I am looking forward to getting this new 'spare'

I have recently bought a cabela's wind river 8wt reel to replace a grey's GX300 and am very impressed with it...caught 50 pinks in one day with it and its held up great...cost me $25.00!! Will be buying another for a 5wt rod...

Ditz, I tried messaging you but a message came up reading you can't accept any new messages. Anyhow. If you want to change the retrieve, let me know, I can walk you through it.