Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

marabou Mickey Finn

thanks, any hints on how to get my marabou in line with the hook shank. like most feather marabou is slightly curved so it doesn't lay straight on the hook it curves to one side or the other. I have used marabou that wasn't like that but I can't get this to lay even. here are pictures of some black marabou, but my red and yellow are the same.

[attachment=48445:marabou.

attachicon.gifmarabou.JPG

Longer marabou feathers would probably be a better choice to achieve marabou lying straight in line

with the hook shank. I believe it was J Szymczyk I read recommend clipping off the quill near the tip

of the marabou feather. Using this technique you will be using marabou fiber tips so you may have to

tie in more than one clump depending on how much fluff you want. If you do that, in my experience

additional clumps are going to tie in easier on either side of the first clump. This means a clump on

each side to maintain balance . . . and so on if you add even more. Doing this is where I find the

marabou really needs to be wet.

KOKO,

For feathers like that you can't use the whole thing, only the top 1/3 or so. The above suggestion about blood quills is correct. If you don't want to buy more marabou you will need to go through the packs you have and select out the longer feathers with the finest stem. The only way to use the stuff on the middle to bottom part of the feather you showed us is to cut the fibers off the quill and tie them in.

Steve

thanks for the suggestions, I tried some and it has made a difference. I will look more closely at the feather. How about chickabou I have never used that. How does it compare to marabou