Fly Tying
NHMatt

Streamer Question

Flytire, thanks for that reference! So, it appears there are variations & all are correct. I don't have a copy of Forgotten Flies! Wish I did, but a bit too pricey for me now!

Your additional post has been my take on "sheathing" as well. Perhaps the same as tented. I'm learning as well, as these are not techniques I've used often. I've tied flatwing streamers, but a different type feather & sometimes multiple feathers used. Still, the end result is a flat appearance, not tented. ( at least from my perspective)

This is how I interpreted what is a "tented" wing. I've been wrong before! unsure.png

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/atlantic/spey-dee/lesson3.php

I was wrong in my previous post when I agreed with the OP that the wing was tented. I think what we are discussing here would be more accurately described as a :flatwing" method. A "tented" wing is similar in that it lays flat over the body but has two feather slips (sometimes just one) that meet at a ridge in the middle like a tent. Like this:

post-35746-0-20759400-1411569493_thumb.jpg

The difference is a minor one I know, but worth noting for the sake of clarity. A flatwing is a single feather slip or bundle of fibers laid flat over the back of the body of the fly.

post-35746-0-19855200-1411569402_thumb.jpg

There is some confusion over this. The terms are sometimes used interchangeably (even by myself).

This is the type of flatwing I'm most familiar with, but it's probably the same basic technique.

http://www.stripermoon.com/flies/sept.html

Flytire, yes, Caddis wings are what I think of when tented is described.

In that other link I posted, it describes 3 methods to accomplish the wing, but they are not all the same. They all provide similar appearance however.

Great discussion! smile.png

Hopefully we haven't confused the OP! unsure.png

As I have come to understand it, Maynard's Marvel is a flat wing. That is, the mallard flank lies flat along the shank. Since a mallard flank feather tends to curve down at the sides, it would appear to "sheath" the underwing somewhat, though I can't say I'm familiar with that term applied to this type of wing. This type of whole feather flat wing was sometimes used for smelt imitations. The hair underwing would help support the mallard overwing and would be relatively sparse. There wouldn't be much use for a light blue calf tail, so I understand the motivation to substitute; however, I'd use a more common color of calf tail, bucktail or similar (e.g., white) before opting to sub a different material type.

I would call your variation a wet fly, not a streamer, since the original design was likely based on at least a 5xl shank. Your fly looks good, and I'm sure the reflection of the tinsel body and the glow of the pheasant crest would grab attention.

There are a few things I notice about your fly. First, there shouldn't be multiple steps at the head; I see a band of thread separating the tinsel body from the throat, another between the throat and the crest, another between the crest and the marabou, and yet again between the marabou and the mallard. That's something that takes some practice, especially when working with such a complicated recipe. The tinsel body is a bit short; it should ideally start above the barb. Your tail looks like it rolled slightly to the far side, so just make more effort to keep it on top of the shank. Also watch that no working thread is visible between the tail and the tinsel (can't tell in the pic). Also, more material at the throat wouldn't hurt. Your tinsel body looks smooth and even, and your rib is nicely spaced. Your other proportions look nice as well.

Keep at it. Each one will get better than the last.

Thanks for the comments. Are you saying that the throat, crest, marabou and mallard should all be tied in as 1 piece? I hear you about the tail - I always seem to rush that part.

No, not as one piece, though they may look that way to non-tyers. Take a look at the head on the first fly that flytire posted above. The throat and wing components are tied in individually, but there are no visible "steps" as the tyer progresses from one material to another. Not exactly easy to do without paying close attention, but it's one of those little things that can differentiate a good fly from a great fly.

I see what you're saying. I've tied a few since this post and they came out correctly. Thanks for pointing that out - my flies are much better for it.