Fly Tying
eide

November flies from the bench

That looks great, Kimo. But how does it fish? It looks like it would spin like a top when pulled through the water.

Like most things I could tell you who fishes it, how it sells at benefits and my own experience but that

is not as much fun as letting you fish them yourself.

Do you fish anywhere that they feed on mysis? I'll send you some. I just need your address.

We don't pull them thru the water as much as just let them drift in the current.

The biggest problem I have had is I having to go to a heavier hook. Nothing like trying to

land a huge fish with funky currents in the "Toilet Bowl".

Kimo

A couple dozen for buddies headed to the Taylor. It's

warmer up there than it is in Denver right now.

1399731_10152367886207003_62716717177183

Mahalo,

Kimo

How small is that Mysis? Would love to see it setting on a dime for scale. Below Taylor is knarly! BIG fish! I always stop at the bridge to take a look at the big ones when I cross Cottonwood pass from Buena Vista to Gunnison. I've never stopped to fish it. I hear it can be tough. I've seen some guys hook into them but loose them in the big boulders. I yell at them "its headed for the boulders, its headed for the boulders" SNAP! GONE. I head to Rio Grand reservoir to fish the river below the lake and the small lakes along the road to Rio Grand reservoir. Good fishing in those small lakes. I think one is called Brown Lake. I've had some fun days on a caddis hatch and a stone fly hatch on the Rio Grand river. The beaver ponds along the hiway on the Buena Vista side of cottonwood pass are a blast for Brooks and small Browns. Get an occasional hatchery cut throat and rainbow too. Small red humpies slaughter them. I've had 100 fish days in those beaver ponds close to Rainbow lake just up form Buena Vista. Been a while since I've been there. I miss it. Beautiful area. The colligate peaks. Clear creek Reservoir, Twin Lakes, Cottonwood lake, Chalk lake, Arkansas River, Miss them all. If you ever hike the trail to Ptarmigan Lake up from Buena Vista on Cottonwood Pass, take a rod. There are some native cut throat there. Only one I've ever caught. He was almost all red with spawn colors. My favorite fish catch ever to this day. On a tiny parachute Adam's. TINY. I've caught bigger fish, but never one that looked as awesome. Thanks for perking up those memories Kimo.

How small is that Mysis? Below Taylor is knarly! BIG fish! I always stop at the bridge to take a look at the big ones when I cross Cottonwood pass from Buena Vista to Gunnison. I head to Rio Grand reservoir to fish the river below the lake and the small lakes along the road to Rio Grand reservoir. Good fishing in those small lakes. I think one is called Brown Lake. I've had some fun days on a caddis hatch and a stone fly hatch on the Rio Grand river. The beaver ponds along the hiway on the Buena Vista side of cottonwood pass are a blast for Brooks and small Browns. Get an occasional cut throat and rainbow too. Small red humpies slaughter them. I've had 100 fish days in those beaver ponds close to Rainbow lake just up form Buena Vista. Been a while since I've been there. I miss it. Beautiful area. The colligate peaks.

Silk,

TMC2457 Size #18

Isn't it un-nerving how big some of those fish are in that tailwater? It's almost impossible to get a good drift in the Toilet Bowl and to top it off

you are using 6x-7x flouro and it really is combat fishing with the crowds. We've taken to fishing the Blue tailwater in the dead of winter on a weekday.

Kimo

I know this is the "Fly Post" but just wanted to add this pic. I didn't take this picture, but this is exactly what my cut throat looked like. My favorite catch ever.

post-19822-0-30843300-1415897241_thumb.jpg

I believe they call them "Grass Shrimp" in Florida. All the bream and bass in the St. Johns River feed on them.

The ones I tie look like this:

When I saw your post, I thought you were tying large sized shrimp, not little ones. I really liked them as large shrimp ... I LOVE them as Grass Shrimp.

Some late season carp bugs

t4FOvzt.jpg

"Blue Steel" style steelhead flies... hopefully we'll actually get some rain out here...

cujQJYA.jpg

and some Lee Creek sculpins (similar, yet simpler than a Headbanger) tied up for a reddit Streamer Swap.

uR9PnLy.jpg

Im in the reddit swap too. Cant wait to get one of these flies.

I believe they call them "Grass Shrimp" in Florida. All the bream and bass in the St. Johns River feed on them.

The ones I tie look like this:

attachicon.gifGrass Shrimp.JPG

When I saw your post, I thought you were tying large sized shrimp, not little ones. I really liked them as large shrimp ... I LOVE them as Grass Shrimp.

I have actually worked on a much larger version that matches the shrimp we have in the tidal pools in Hawai'i.

I just don't have the opportunity to test them out.

Kimo

MATTSMIDGEPW_zps9aff463c.jpg

MATT’S MIDGE PW – Matt Miles/Variant – Daiichi 1110, #18 – #24…

TANDNAICELARVAEMIDGRP_zpsf5d7c8d8.jpg

TAN DNA/ICE LARVA MIDGES…

PT/TB

Some late season carp bugs

t4FOvzt.jpg

"Blue Steel" style steelhead flies... hopefully we'll actually get some rain out here...

cujQJYA.jpg

and some Lee Creek sculpins (similar, yet simpler than a Headbanger) tied up for a reddit Streamer Swap.

uR9PnLy.jpg

Im in the reddit swap too. Cant wait to get one of these flies.

Now how friken cool is that row of sculpins !!! That looks awesome!!!

How small is that Mysis? Below Taylor is knarly! BIG fish! I always stop at the bridge to take a look at the big ones when I cross Cottonwood pass from Buena Vista to Gunnison. I head to Rio Grand reservoir to fish the river below the lake and the small lakes along the road to Rio Grand reservoir. Good fishing in those small lakes. I think one is called Brown Lake. I've had some fun days on a caddis hatch and a stone fly hatch on the Rio Grand river. The beaver ponds along the hiway on the Buena Vista side of cottonwood pass are a blast for Brooks and small Browns. Get an occasional cut throat and rainbow too. Small red humpies slaughter them. I've had 100 fish days in those beaver ponds close to Rainbow lake just up form Buena Vista. Been a while since I've been there. I miss it. Beautiful area. The colligate peaks.

Silk,

TMC2457 Size #18

Isn't it un-nerving how big some of those fish are in that tailwater? It's almost impossible to get a good drift in the Toilet Bowl and to top it off

you are using 6x-7x flouro and it really is combat fishing with the crowds. We've taken to fishing the Blue tailwater in the dead of winter on a weekday.

Kimo

Kimo, Yea, some of those rainbows look like they should be steelheads. I stopped and watched a guy land a huge one once while passing by. It took him all the way to where the hiway is right beside the river before he landed it. when he netted it and lifted it up, the whole bank let out in a roar. It was a monster. Them big boys can humble you as a fisherman too. SNAP!! You made me laugh at the "Combat Fishing" comment. Is why I usually stray from such places. I tend to fish the "walk a mile and see no one " places. I'm afraid I would go postal on someone at a place like that. lol. Especially if they got in the path of a big one I had on. You mention Blue tail water. Are you talking about the Blue river below Dillon Lake at Silverthorne Colorado. At least I think its the Blue river. I've seen some big big fish there too. Below Dillon that is. When the sun is just right in the sky so you can see beyond the surface glare ,oh yea, there they are. Only been there once. Didn't get to fish it. Was a family thing. sad.png lol. I was just staying there in some condo ready to head to the Buena Vista area. No fishing.. It sucked...LOL

Silk,

TMC2457 Size #18

Kimo

KImo, Are you talking about the Blue river below Dillon Lake at Silverton Colorado. I've seen some big big fish there too. When the sun is just right in the sky so you can see beyond the surface glare,oh yea, there they are.

Yes, not unheard of to hook something in that 24" range right under the I-70. Those holes are deceptive they look shallow but are very deep in places. Sometimes when they open the gates it looks like snow but it is really mysis. The fish will gorge themselves that they crunch when you pick them up. They regurgitate a bunch of the shrimp then go right back to feeding. I've had fish move two feet out of their feeding lane to hit this fly.

Kimo

Looks like a wake maker, Halfdunn. As long as it doesn't foul the hook, it should draw some large piscine attention.