Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Looking for shad patterns

I've been snooping around to find some shads that can be fished in heavy current with a sinking or sink-tip line. I do have some "lead-eyed" version tied, but I have become interested in a mylar bodied shad. I bought some of the tubing (with a core) and figured using some thin lead sheets for the actual shape of the fly may add enough weight.

I'm thinking of cutting this lead in an oval/heart shape, folding it over the hook shank and then sliding the mylar over it.

Do any of you have any links to a step by step for such an animal?

Solved part of the puzzle.

Brother Sean (Flyfishenvy) recommended using a pop can for the shape, but I wanted something heavier. I took some old ground tackle (lead) and melted it down and then pouring it an alumnium pie plate and ended up with a sheet. wink.gif

Now it's just a matter of cutting, folding and building a shad around it.

Stay tuned...

That's cool for the weight, but not the shape...

Seeing a shad is quite narrow, you don't want to add a lot of bulk. I'm working on it. drunk.gif smoke.gif

Speaking to the weight, I've seen patterns use layers of lead tape (same stuff they use for weighting golf clubs). One shrimp patter layered different lengths over a scud hook - looked completely spankin'.

Has nothing to do with shad patterns I know but speaks making a thin body. Good luck!

bait.gif

No doubt, Fin!

It really doesn't matter how one obtains the bulk, as long as one can imitate a shad.

It's time to work on the covering and the colors....

I've tied Zonkers with the mylar over lead, they work well, if you can keep them from hitting you in the back of the head. wallbash.gif Don't forget Shoe that if you hit a kill on the White there will likely be fish all through the water column.

ralf, just sent you a pm about this, but i will post here. i taped fly fish tv the other day (actually every day) and they had a show about the white. they tied some type of shad pattern, i cant remember for sure what they used for materials cause i was to busy tying other things and didnt pay close attention. but if you want i can copy it for you to view at your leisure and see if you like the pattern. or you could check out their website www.flyfishtv.com and watch it in their quicktime.

let me know, and i will try to get it copied before you get here in the morning.

ralf i finally found some of the lead tape i was talking about. i tied up a couple of zonkers with the tape as the underbody (under the mylar) and if you cut it right it will make a fly that closely resembles the shad you showed me on our trip up to joes. i will have to bring a couple this weekend for you to look at.

SHOE

try using #12or 14 gage copper you must have some old cable laying around

That is what I use for minnow patterns. just form a little body tye on the hook and malar over

instant weighted body. mind you I use #4&6 long shank hooks

Mike

A friend of mine gave me some small lead pieces about 1 inch or so square ,said they were from dental xray, those little cardboard things they stick in your mouth.

They are thin and can be cut or folded to attain any shape you desire.I use them for stone flies and they sink like a rock.. Check with your local friendly dentist.

Shoe, you could just use those lead strips they sell as fishing weights. The ones that come in sort of a match book that you twist on to your line. Here, I found some info in case you have no idea what I'm talking about Twistons

I don't know if the dimensions percisely fit your purpose, but they are cheap and easily obtainable. I'm sure they could be adapted to your use

Shoe, if in fact, you are fishing the shad kill on the White the shad get chopped up in the turbines. Not all of them will be whole, and intact. Generally, something that resembles a shad rather than an exact replica will work. You have probably seen this one before, but it has proven successful on the White for the shad kill.

post-22-1110720633.jpg