Fly Tying
lucaseabass

Royal Wulff

Hi friends,

motivated by your nice feedback, I wish to propose you another my piece translated in English. This time I describe step-by-step how tie one of the most popular dry fly in the world, the Royal Wulff. There is one interesting aspect of this fly: you can tie in the wings after built the body, in practice this is the old style and is shown in my photographic sequence and video. As an alternative, you can tie in the wing first and then all the others materials and this is the most popular way to build the Royal Wulff nowdays.

This is the link to the article:

ROYAL WULFF

post-50270-0-16045400-1418894940_thumb.jpg

It says it's a Royal Wulff, but it looks more like a Royal Coachman to me. It's an amazing tie either way.

The coachman has a golden pheasant tippet tail and upright duck wings.

Chech, the size 32 is the one I think looks more like a Royal Coachman. To me it looks just as you describe. The Coachman also has less hackle than the Wulff. The size 32 has very little, if any, hackle.

Chech, the size 32 is the one I think looks more like a Royal Coachman. To me it looks just as you describe. The Coachman also has less hackle than the Wulff. The size 32 has very little, if any, hackle.

I see... I thought you were talking about the video...

I tried it down to a 20 a few years back. Wouldn't want to have to do it on a regular basis. It is not actually hard but you don't have the wiggle room that you do on larger flies for amount and proportion of materials. Really just a matter of practice and use of proper substitutes when you get to sub 20 hooks.

Steve