Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
drgreen1021

Hello from Michigan

Hello, my name is Doug and I live in Belding in Mid Michigan. I tried tying about 15 years ago but it didn't work out as I had no dedicated tying spot. We moved and now I have a hobby room. I just set it up for fly tying with plans to add a work bench for fly rod building which I have been doing off and on for about 6 years. I am currently focusing on small nymphs and midges to work on proportions and thread control. I am looking forward to learning more about tying dry fly's and also fly's for panfish and smallmouth bass.

I have been married for 19 years and we have two sons. The oldest is in the middle of applying to college so I am faced with a future of more time and less money. Outside of fishing and hunting I also recently started Fencing, both of my sons Fence and I decided to give it a go as it is a great workout.

Hopefully I will learn some great things here and maybe eventually be able to add some input myself.

Awesome. I don't fence but I practice Kendo. When I'm not droning away at work I'm at my place in Paradise, MI, and that's not often enough either.

Welcome back to tying.

Are you into chain link fencing, or rail fencing? Sorry about that... just had to do it.

Welcome to our fur and feather mob. You'll surely learn a lot, and probably teach us a lot too. Congrats on your sons.

Welcome to the site. We like pictures of custom rods, too, so please keep us updated on both projects, fly tying and rod building.

Epee or Saber?

Thanks for the welcome.

I checked out Kendo on Youtube, it looks somewhat similar to Sabre but the lack of a straight strip makes me think the footwork is even harder. Also the equipment seems more robust so probably is a bit pricier. By the way is the fish market still in Paradise? I believe it was on the north side of town on the way to Tahquamenon. it had the best fried whitefish I have ever had.

I once dabbled in chain link but right now I am fencing Epee and Foil, My eldest has been competing in Epee for 3+ years so we own a surplus of equipment.

I will try to dig up some pictures of a couple of the rods I built and maybe some of the recent flies I tied and post them soon.

--Doug

Thanks for the welcome.

I checked out Kendo on Youtube, it looks somewhat similar to Sabre but the lack of a straight strip makes me think the footwork is even harder. Also the equipment seems more robust so probably is a bit pricier. By the way is the fish market still in Paradise? I believe it was on the north side of town on the way to Tahquamenon. it had the best fried whitefish I have ever had.

I once dabbled in chain link but right now I am fencing Epee and Foil, My eldest has been competing in Epee for 3+ years so we own a surplus of equipment.

I will try to dig up some pictures of a couple of the rods I built and maybe some of the recent flies I tied and post them soon.

--Doug

Browns Fish market is still open, but really only when there are tourists around and then only until they sell out. It's not a place you go when you're "in the mood" for fish at 2:30 in the afternoon because they sold out at 12:00.

If you're looking for reliably available smoked fish there's a market in Moran on M123 that I can wholly recommend. It's right next to the old TrueValue and if your not paying attention you'll pass it.

Other than that, the Silver Creek bar for their Friday fish fry is the place to be.

I started kendo when I was in Japan. It's never easy or cheap as I learned but fantastic exercise and great stress relief. My instructors were brutal when it came to footwork, as advancement was more about technique than points in a bout and even more so with kata. I had some fantastic callouses.

Welcome Doug! I'm in Michigan, too (Holland), and know the Belding area well as I fish the Flat River a lot for smallmouth. Maybe we can meet up sometime. Meanwhile, we look forward to seeing your flies and your rods on here when you get a chance. This is an exceptionally friendly and helpful group you've found, and we're glad to have you aboard.

Cheers,

Bryon