Fly Tying
Boa3

Rotary for a left hander

Does it make a difference when buying a rotary if you are lefty. I am thinking about getting a rotary and I am left handed. Thanks

I'm left handed ( i used my left hand to wrap) and I use a renzetti. othe than the tighening knobs being opposite of where I am, I dont find it an issue. To be honest , I dont think it matters.

Portlyjoe is right in that it really doesn't matter -or at least not to him and not to me.. For the Renzetti anyway there is a left and a right-hand version. The difference being whether or not the jaw adjustment knobs are facing towards you or are on the away side of the vise head.

At one time I came into possession of a left-hand Renzetti Traveler - I'm right-handed. I actually found the adjustment knobs being on the back side of the jaws were in a position I considered comfortable. Using right-hand jaws required a wrist-twist (hold your hands out in front of you and look at the palms then flip your hands over and look at the back of your hand - which position is more comfortable - for me it is looking at your palms - and that is the position a right-handed person finds their hand in if they are using a left-handed vise) oh - wait I'm confusing myself...

Anyway, most people can use either. The difference being only that the adjustment screws for the jaws are facing towards you or away from you. Rotation and tying are not effected by the position of the jaw adjustment screws.

Thanks I didn't think it would but one review I read was talking about it being a right handed vise. Thanks again. Bo

I have used several different rotary vises. Renzetti, Dyna-King, and Nor-vise. No problems so far. I have tied on a Peak, and a few others, and for the most part there is no real difference. Yes some adjustment screws may end up on the back side of the jaws, but that s a small thing. On my Nor-vise, I reversed the jaws (top to bottom,) and re inserted the lever on the bottom. Works fine.

Montana Mongoose is not a goo left handed vise because of the cam lever. I only have problems with it with dubbing, but I've been using that vise for six years now so I am used to it, besides, it holds a hook like nobodies business.