Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SILKHDH

Float and Fly technique

I tied & sold Float N Fly jigs for many years. 1/16 oz is likely the most popular weight, but I sold them in sizes from 1/64 oz to 1/4 oz regularly. They're a niche product that any tier can tie but don't expect to get rich tying them. Their use & application is limited, not because it needs to be, but because of folks perception that it is, so folks only use them at certain times.

Some folks get really upset over the method & how it's used if it's not to exacting specs, but I've never found that to be necessary. It's also not just a method that's productive in cold water, although it does work well then. I've fished for bass, perch, crappies & other panfish using the technique.

I have preference for the finished jig to sit horizontal when at rest, which means it has to be balanced. Then, any slight movement of the float makes the jig move, even when the water gets rippled by a breeze. Often it's the subtle movement that gets results.

Like Mike mentioned, I too prefer a slip float, one that is just big enough to suspend the weight of the jig. Too big & often bites are hard to detect, especially in colder water.

IMO. it's not unlike fishing nymphs under a strike indicator, except the jigs are intended to mimic baitfish, are a bit heavier & the floats a bit bigger. wink.png