Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Stuntsurvivalist

What are these for?

I just bought a fly tying starter kit and it had chennile, hackle feathers, deer fur ,and i think dyed peacock herls, duck feathers and thread. etc but im have trouble with the duck feathers the herls and deer fur. i dont know their for nor how to use them

p.s the duck feathers are like the wing or tail.

The duck feathers are for wings and wet flies look up the fly royal wolf wet fly for an example.

The deer hair might be be for tying either comparadun dry flies or for elk hair caddis dry flies look those up on google for some pictures.

The herl can be used for tons of flies dry flies and wet most of the time for the body or thorax of a fly. Check out the prince nymph for a good example.

Most sets like this come with a book of some sort of patterns that the included materials can be used for if not check out youtube there are some really great videos out there to help you get started. Remember when you first start less is more, when you think you have enough materials on your fly unwrap a few turns then you should be good.

Hi,

So started kits can be really neat to get you going, especially on tools. From what I have seen they don't usually have the materials to really make anything specific (granted there are a LOT of different materials). The duck feathers are often used in classic fly wings on dry flies (if they are from the wing, if they are Cul De Canard feathers they are used for emergers mostly). Deer fur is also a wing and a tail material typically for dries. Peacock herls are used a lot, often toward the head of the fly. The Prince Nymph is the most notorious for using peacock herl, and this fly can be tied in various colors and styles. My biggest recommendation to you is to check what flies are used where you like to fish, then find the right materials to tie them. If you want a great place to go to learn to tie, I really enjoy Tightline Productions on Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/user3412872).

Happy Tying!

T

Before you use it, I'd suggest taking a little of that deer hair and putting it in water, to see if it sinks or floats. Deer body hair, especially from the belly, floats, whereas the tail hair doesn't. I use deer hair as tails for various flies made of foam, like hoppers. If you're tying a wet fly or one that you want to sink, you won't want to use floating hair.

Before you use it, I'd suggest taking a little of that deer hair and putting it in water, to see if it sinks or floats. Deer body hair, especially from the belly, floats, whereas the tail hair doesn't. I use deer hair as tails for various flies made of foam, like hoppers. If you're tying a wet fly or one that you want to sink, you won't want to use floating hair.

i just checked it floats

Did the kit not come with some sort of manual or instruction booklet? If not, then that is what you should find. Library is a good place to get one for reference. Or a well organized set of starter videos should get you started. The first flies you tie should be nothing but thread.

Thread midges will catch fish 24 7 365. Midges are in almost any water that has fish, and most fish will eat them at one time or another.

I can send you a tutorial if you want one. Just PM me an email address.

The absolute best starter/learner/beginner tying instructions I have seen are on FAOL (Flyanglersonline.com)

Clicky thingy to their Beginner tying Lessons. Al Campbell was a wonder at getting people started. I still use his SHWAPF pattern.

There are also intermediate and advanced lessons on their site.

Kirk