Fly Tying
Kirk Dietrich

Some hard bodies for 2015

Decided to break out the Paasche airbrush after having my light colored Copic colored bugs fade. Figured to do some fresh "poppers" for the warmer weather that should be right around the corner. I've come to like Fire Tiger coloration as you might notice but played with some different tail/skirt configurations. Really like the fox fur.

Some Comal floats tied on Mustad 34007, size #1 for bass and redfish.
kirk-dietrich-albums-flies-picture2618-p

The other half of the floats tied on Gaelic Supreme hump shank hooks from Herter's, size #4.
kirk-dietrich-albums-flies-picture2617-p

Some Walt Holman simple divers I made from balsa plugs.
kirk-dietrich-albums-flies-picture2620-p

Some of my divers made from cork bottle stoppers; this design has been working for me since I first started making it back in 1988.
kirk-dietrich-albums-flies-picture2621-p

Those are gorgeous! Would like to know what size the divers are on. Also do you have a youtube or show and tell somewhere on making those cork and balsa heads?

Hey Fla,

Both of those diver heads are on a Mustad 33903 size #2.

Don't have a tutorial on those on-line. The one with the dimple in the sloped face is a Walt Holman design. It is his simple diver named because it is a balsa plug of appriate diameter for your hook. It is then cut in half on a pretty flat angle as illustrated, slotted and glued to hook. Then if you choose, put that dimple near the top of the sloped face to catch some air to make a few bubbles - not really a pop but a little noise.

The other is basically a tapered popper head - I just happened to make mine out of bottle stopper but I've used WAPSI popper heads too. After glued to hook like a Sneaky Pete, I just use my sanding drum bit for my rotary tool and scoop the top of the tapered slider off to make the sloped face.

Not sure if it is noticeable in the pictures but I always trim the skirt material from the bottom of the hook to help them dive better - makes a big difference.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk... I've gotta try some of those! I'm thinking more size 6 for panfish. I like Sneaky Pete, so I think those divers will work really well.

Fla, I've done them down to size #10.

This is the basic idea except done with foam and no dimple. This is a size #8 or #10, great bream bug - with tail of course. Usually just a simple squirrel tail hair tail or tuft of rabbit hair and a little hackle or cactus chenille skirt trimmed flat on the bottom of course.

kirk-dietrich-albums-fly-tying-picture26

Thanks Ron.

That is what I was told when I contacted Copic about my experience. Thing is the Chart and Lemon/Sun Yellow faded in a matter of months just sitting in a fly box on a shelf under my tying desk. Not sun or light exposure.

wow those are some great looking poppers. I hope to try a few too; the divers would be new for me and those colors are beautiful!

Thanks fshrmans.

BCT, yes, they were coated with 30 minute cure epoxy. Also, the bodies had an undercoat of metallic irredescent white. Not sure if the undercoating helped speed up the fading or the epoxy top coat. The dark colors I've used such as olive, dark brown, dark blue and black have retained their original pigment over the last year or so.

The fly on the left used to look like the one on the right; still very fishy/fishable just not the color I originally intended.

kirk-dietrich-albums-flies-picture2629-d

Holy snit! And I wanted to use some light yellows from Copic. You have me thinking I should hold off on getting Copic markers for the light yellow work I want to do. :(

I'll have to do light yellow some other way. i guess.... (sighs).

BCT