Fly Tying
flytyingforever

Lost baggage = lost vices...... *PIC HEAVY

Well, i broke my streak, i had gone my 32 years without losing baggage while travelling... until now... and my three precious vices are gone too. A snow travel vice, Anvil apex, and a Nor-vise, plus assorted materials, and your standard array of tools. sad sad angry man i was.

but i had one oldie sitting in a drawer, and it has some quirks to be polite, but it's a classic nonetheless haha, though it's grown rickety over the years, i can still awkwardly use it for now. you just have to get used to how it shifts and such, like a beater car where you have to have the radio on or the AC won't work haha.
Is anyone else using a cheaper vice, or even a homemade, or tying in hand? i'd love to see some pics if people are??? it's good to remember how much we can accomplish with the simpler things.
i have a jar going in my house where i am starting to put change and any leftovers i can come across, and will build my vices back up on day. but for a younger guy starting a family with my wifey, it's going to be a dollar at a time.
this is some of my january/february work. everything tied on the cheap ol'vice. i'm sure you'll all recognize it.
through in a couple fishing pics to help introduce myself.
if any of you are on twitter @flytyermiller
image1_zps8yuibn28.jpg][/url]
IMG_1242_zps6cu95g2w.jpg][/url]IMG_1248_zpss9toicwg.jpg][/url]IMG_1239_zpsmw4pdwqj.jpg][/url]IMG_1200_zps4ymaxjs2.jpg][/url]new_zpscgzjbt6j.jpg][/url]IMG_1051_zps7wcrhl0o.jpg][/url]IMG_0234_zps4tfzcovd.jpg][/url]e28ea463-f88c-4553-a755-109af9359390_zps][/url]
[/url]IMG_1173_zpsovw5zkwr.jpg][/url]
IMG_1069_zpsovvs6skn.jpg

Sucks ... losing baggage. But even more so losing more than just clothes in that baggage.

I tie on a $30 dollar vise. But it holds a hook, which is all it needs to do.

Good luck getting yours back, or getting replacements.

That really sucks, hopefully it will eventually show up and be sent to you. I have a vise and tool kit I got off ebay like 10 years ago for $50 or so. It holds a hook well, except for when I am really working on some deer hair. I would recommend one of the cheaper mongoose vises, they just don't slip and I think their low cost model is under $100.

that sucks.

for some reason, those fly pic look familiar....

haha there are a couple places you could've seen them before. i'm sort of diving right into this online thing after putting it off for a long time. so between here, twitter, and a couple other forums they've made their rounds introducing me.

Doesn't look to me like you need to worry much about a better vise; you're doing darned good with that one. We were having a talk here a few weeks ago about vises, fairly expensive ones, the J-vise, but it could have been the LAW a few years ago. A vise doesn't make a tier, but the tier makes the fly. You've got the talent, so a vise is the least of your worries.

Nice flies!!

Ray

hey all, thanks so much for the fine words, particularly you Mr Ray.

I have to say, there is something really great and (maybe sadly) prideful about having really beautiful, and functional stuff. but it's really not necessary.

i'd be outrun by many shoeless men, regardless of how much i spend on my nike's.

i will go back to some higher end vices eventually (a tube vice in particular will be the first purchase) but for now, i sure am glad to have had this old thing in my drawer to help out. it will wobble a little a little, unless you lean on it "just so" with your hand haha, works perfect once you have the technique down!

Hey FTF, where are you located? I might have an older vice in a drawer that is a little better than the one you showed. You are welcome to it for postage if you are not local to me.

Also for a tube vice, unless you are going to be tying a lot of tube flies, just get an adaptor set for you regular vice. These are available for $25-50 US.

Steve

Sorry to hear you lost your stuff!!! Hopefully they find it!! Good looking ties. Nothing wrong with the old vises I upgraded to a Dyna-King Kingfisher years ago that I got on sale. Here's a Herter's #9 and an old Thompson A

100_1052.jpg

The base on the DK actually came with the Thompson which my daughter bought at a Pawn Shop

100_1053.jpg

A vice at a pawn shop! that is fantastic! your daughter got big points on that one i bet!

Stevester, i am in southern ontario currently, i feel uncomfortable accepting such a generous offer. can i send you some flies or something in return if the transaction works out?

Hasn't the Airline offered you some compensation for the lost baggage, and the contents?

Every now and again, I do tie in hand just to see what its like. Here are a few. I really admire those people who tie in hand all the time.

post-12074-0-93272800-1424470597_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-54472200-1424470628_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-47757900-1424470654_thumb.jpg

Well, i broke my streak, i had gone my 32 years without losing baggage while travelling... until now... and my three precious vices are gone too. A snow travel vice, Anvil apex, and a Nor-vise, plus assorted materials, and your standard array of tools. sad sad angry man i was.

but i had one oldie sitting in a drawer, and it has some quirks to be polite, but it's a classic nonetheless haha, though it's grown rickety over the years, i can still awkwardly use it for now. you just have to get used to how it shifts and such, like a beater car where you have to have the radio on or the AC won't work haha.
Is anyone else using a cheaper vice, or even a homemade, or tying in hand? [balance snipped]
---------
I am. An Indian AA vise.
Flies can be found at:
I also use a 30 year old Cortland Crown II reel.
Still catches plenty of wild 'bows on the Upper Delaware River.
Tight lines,
TR