Fly Tying
hexfli

Warmwater Species

What warmwater fish is your favorite to cast flies too?  

931 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Haven't caught everything on that list, but far and above anything else so far, I'll take a smallie if I can get it.

Bluegill on a 3-4 weight are amazing (mini tarpon), and you are almost guaranteed to catch a bunch of them.

SM and LM bass are what I go after most often, great fighters.

The best fish IMO is carp, they are little tanks that refuse to submit (if you have ever caught one you know what I am talking about :) ).

Spooky, selective and tough what more could you ask for? They challenge every aspect of your abilities, and even after that they throw you some surprises. Even after you pull them from the water they will surprise you again, by telling you to put them back in the water using their groans, moans and croaks. Some people say they are ugly, but I am sorry they are quite a beautiful fish....do remember this is where Koi came from.

Whats the difference between pike and musky?

Pike are extremely more aggressive, and because of this over harvest of large females has significantly reduced their size in Wisconsin waters. Coloring is different in that Muskies have dark markings on a light background and pike have light markings on a dark background. Tiger muskies (the musky/pike hybrid) have very prominant bars on their sides and tend to be more aggressive than non hybrid muskies. Pike spawn earlier than muskies, and sometimes under the ice in our area. However, probably the most significant difference is the habitat preferences especially during the warmwater months. Northern pike, especially the larger specimens need cold water. The larger the fish, the colder the water temperature preferences. Hammer handle northerns and muskies of all sizes will inhabit shallow weedy bays and weedlines during even the warmest of summer days. However, there is a noticeable absence of intermediate and large sized pike. The bigger females seek refuge in coldwater pockets, springs, stream mouths, or suspended at or just above the thermocline in mid-summer, seeking areas where they have the coolest temps and enough dissolved oxygen to thrive. Usually these bigger water pike spend the majority of the summer feeding on schools of open water baitfish species such as ciscos, smelt, or whitefish. Lakes that aren't cold enough to support populations of these soft-finned and high protein baitfish find pike as opportunistic feeders at weedlines and drop-offs during cloudy or windy days during ensuing storm fronts.

I am not trying to sound like a pike expert because I am not. However, I cut my teeth chasing pike and muskies all over Wisconsin growing up. They're just my passion!

Lm Bass however it's a tie with Sm Bass for me. I have more of an opportunity to fish for Lm Bass. A lot of fun with a fly rod and a couple of Deer Hair Bass Bugs. And I have only caught 1 Tiger Musky, it was big, it was a great fight. A freshwater Barracuda!

I've always wondered why Pike and Musky get lumped in with "warmwater" fish... The best Pike fishing I've ever had was right after ICE-OUT, and they live as far north as Alaska, and not very far south. Musky inhabit even a much narrower range.

Whats the difference between pike and musky?

Muskies look scary :hyst:

I Have a Question whats a wiper?

I'm glad you asked, I was confused myself.

I've always wondered why Pike and Musky get lumped in with "warmwater" fish... The best Pike fishing I've ever had was right after ICE-OUT, and they live as far north as Alaska, and not very far south. Musky inhabit even a much narrower range.

I totally agree J. Cheers, Futzer.

I love hooking into SMB's when fishing for trout. I always think I have a huge trout on my line, but in the end it's only SMB that weighs only about a pound. Man can those fish put up a fight.