Fly Tying

#12 Beading Needle

2015-02-25_Paraducks-seq-1.jpg

2015-02-25_Paraducks-seq-2.jpg

2015-02-25_Paraducks-seq-3.jpg

2015-02-25_Paraducks-seq-4.jpg

2015-02-25_Paraducks-seq-5.jpg

2015-02-25_Paraducks-seq-6.jpg

...now swing the thread under the fly, from its tension point at the eye back to the bend of the hook, underneath the body, loosely basting a clump o Zelon to the bottom of the fly in the process. Then back up to the eye. Whip finish. Glue the bottom side of the fly to fix the hackles. Any glue will doo.

2015-02-25_Paraducks-seq-7.jpg

2015-02-25_Paraducks-seq-8.jpg

The small short shank hook (#20 DaiRiki 125) reduces the overall weight of the fly, which makes it a substantially better floating fly.

And then, if you grab the resulting Caddis with one hand pinched firmly onto the end of the tail and the other at the eye and then pull outwards hard enough you can stretch it out into a Golden Stonefly.......

2015-02-25_Paraducks-stonefly.jpg

I think you are on to something using beading needles. Today I managed to find a couple of catgut violin strings, tomorrow it's off to the store to find beading needles!

Barry, I find the beading needles a little long and too flexible, You can get a really fine quilting needle that is more rigid and shorter. Same, or at least similar, size wire.

Cheers,

C.