Fly Tying

Michael,

It is a Royal Coachman with a white calf tail Trude-style down wing and no tail. One of my go-to attractors when leaning on searching patterns in a no-hatch spell.

Rocco

Wright's Royal is a pattern developed by Phil Wright in the mid '70's for the Rocky Mountain region.

Pattern:

Dry fly hook of your choice 10 to 18

Black thread

Rear butt...peacock herl

Body....scarlet floss

Wing ....light elk tied down wing with the tips even with the bend of the hook

In front of the wing....wind peacock herl and then brown hackle spaced through it.

My version.....

011_zpsaa5271fe.jpg

Hi Michael,

It is a killer and in smaller sizes is a great ant imitation. We like the elk hair version but both versions mentioned work well. Take care & ...

.....so.....it's a Royal Trude with a deer hair wing instead of a white kip tail wing? I've long wondered about that fly. I drifted by the Complete Angler many times, back in the day when Phil Wright still owned and operated the lodge. It's a nice stretch of river, from there all the way down to Divide. The small canyon a few miles down from the lodge can be hair raising at salmon fly time. There's a stretch in there were the waves come at you from two diagonal directions--when it's in flood stage anyway--where you have to spin left to meet this wave head on and then immediately spin right to hit that one. Else you'll swamp the boat.

Big fish down there in the deep canyon pools though. By July the riffles get so low you can't easily boat it. But the pools stay deep.