Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

FTF Fly Challenge #2

Heres the 2nd fly for the fly challenge guys its called the cotton nymph. Its was submited by Vices again and not only is it a great looking nymph but he also did a very nice step by step on tying it.

So here you go, seeing as how everyone did such a nice job with the variations on the first fly lets see what you guys can come up with for this fly.

Thanks Vices

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This is the finished fly wink.gif

Same rules as before, as long as its a nymph anything goes.. look forward to seeing what you guys can come up with .... cheers.gif Jake

I like seeing the varriations, and differnt styles of tying for similar patterns. It helps create ideas, and provides solutions.

So the premise is a stonefly nymph (or other) using cotton embroidery thread? dunno.gif

Is that what the body material is? (recipe?)

So for the challenge part, we should come up with similar fly, style, something using the same materials?

Any materials you wish, the fly must be a nymph.. your own twists, styles or sizes, be creative and enjoy.. cheers.gif

Here is my fox squirl nymph

user posted image

I like using a dubbing loop, it lets you form a hackle collar using any type of material. Its a very versitile techinique once mastered.

Hey atroutbum2,

My buddy ties a Rabbit Bugger that is very similar to your Hare's Ear variant, only on a longer shank hook in size 6-8. He uses body fur (as in off of Zonker strips) though, in various colors from chart. to black. Works great on bream. We haven't tested it much on trout. How does yours do?

You might also like the Squirrelly Cuss... designed for bluegill though:

user posted image

Here's the instructs if you're interested: Squirrelly Cuss

A troutbum2.. nice fly, theres a little spot just north of me I know that would be good pattern for.. and Knisely nice tye brother cheers.gif

user posted imageHere is an experimental nymph. I have only been tying for about a year (no professional instruction) so please forgive any mistakes. Also any suggestions would be appreciated. The fly also doesn't have a name as far as I know. I used Pheasnat tail for the tail, Brown Olive dubbing for the body, Krystal flash for ribbing, Brown hackle for legs, and Gray duck feather for the wing case.

nicely done wicked, and crusty looks good to me.. the only thing i would do differently is fill the body out.. more of a tyers choice thing.. good job cheers.gif