Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JayWirth

Hook Substitute ?

Any ideas for a substitute for Mustad 3399N (gold hook). I know Mustad still makes a 3399 but it is now in Bronze

I'm pretty sure you can still buy it directly from Mustad in 24K gold plated (which they always have been plated) if that's what you want. Shop around online because I'm pretty sure some places still have the gold hooks, ebay has some 3399N but they were sz 4. If you just want the gold color an Aberdeen hook in the size and style you want should suffice.

Mustad 33602 is a gold plated sproat bend just like the 3399 except has a straight eye instead of a down eye. Hagen's has them if you need a source.

Mustad has stopped making the 3399 in gold plating 5+ years now. Its almost impossible to find the 3399N (gold plated) 3399 bronze is still in production. Its a good dry fly hook but I also prefer them as stingers on all my bucktail jigs. I am looking to purchase a couple thousand #6 so something that would be a good replacement:

#6, Gold plated, turned down eye, thin wire, standard length,