Fly Tying
kennebec12

Cleaning Waders and Boots

I too have multiple pairs of waders. and if i know I'm gonna " pond jump " then i take them with me. I work for a chemical company and i wash my stuff with crap that will destroy anything living. It hasn't hurt my waders or discolored them either. But now i'm growing a twin out of my ass. so i guess there's always a price.

Have you thought about how having chemicals on you and getting in the water might affect the water? Even if it just hurts the micro-organisms and algae, it will affect the whole ecosystems.

i wonder how many states and provinces in N.A.

1) banned felt

2) reversed the laws banning felt soles

None have reversed the ban but at least one state, Vermont, exempts state and federal employees from the ban. So a Vermont DNR warden can give an angler a ticket for wearing felt soles while the warden himself is wearing waders with felt soles. That is just wrong and another example of the hysteria over dydimo blooms before the actual cause of dydimo blooms was scientifically investigated.

The Vermont statute that passed and is law:

"Sec. 1. 10 V.S.A. § 4616 is added to read: § 4616. FELT-SOLED BOOTS AND WADERS; USE PROHIBITED

It is unlawful to use external felt-soled boots or external felt-soled waders in the waters of Vermont, except that a state or federal employee or emergency personnel, including fire, law enforcement, and EMT personnel, may use external felt-soled boots or external felt-soled waders in the discharge of official duties."

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2010/bills/Passed/H-488.pdf

Proposed Montana statute that died in committee because of proposed unequal treament under the law:

"NEW SECTION.**Section 2.**Use of felt-soled boots and waders prohibited.

(1) A person may not use external felt-soled boots or external felt-soled waders in the waters of the state.

(2) The possession of external felt-soled boots or external felt-soled waders on the banks or shores of a stream or lake or in a boat, raft, canoe, or other water vessel is prima facie evidence that the person or persons in whose possession the boots or waders are found were using the boots or waders in the waters of the state.

(3) The provisions of this section do not apply to a state or federal employee or emergency personnel, including fire, law enforcement, and emergency medical technicians, using external felt-soled boots or external felt-soled waders when acting within the scope of duty."

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2011/billhtml/SB0230.htm

I will definitely agree that Didymo blooms in low nutrient cold water, and that it is native to many parts of North America, but the mountain streams I fish have no farms or industry to provide abnormally high phosphorus. I have never taken water quality samples from these streams (I somehow never thought of that in college when all the test supplies would have been free) but I imagine the streams aren't getting high phosphorus, or any nutrients in excessive quantities, from the slate that abounds in the foothills. (Geologically speaking nutrients tend to drop considerably ~150 years after deglaciation, and we are pushing 11K years since deglaciation up there). So a human caused introduction of Didymo in those streams which have not contained Didymo for an extend time could potentially occur and wreak havoc on the present ecosystem.

I am most worried though, about the nuisance plants like hydrilla and Eurasian Watermilfoil which are both present in the watershed I was fishing, and have not been introduced in the watershed I will be fishing up north. And also any of the numerous bacteria/virus/parasites that may have been in the southern waters. I'd hate to ruin my waders since I can't afford new ones, but I'd be much less happy if my favorite fishing areas became infested with invasive species. It seems there is no 100% method to prevent contamination but I will take measures to reduce the chance of an introduction.

Fisherboy0301, there is some truth to thinking about what chemicals we use and what will be transferred into the ecosystem. I looked into using some of the "natural" disinfectants rather than bleach, thinking that they may be a better alternative, but the ecotoxicity of the "natural" disinfectants seems to be of higher concern than bleach. This is not to say that residue left on a pair of waders is sufficient to cause damage, but that things may not always be as they seem.

A few hours out in full sun is probably the best natural disinfectant.

Here in the South, where we wade on slime covered bounders, several states have backed off on banning felt. It is a safety issue.