Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Making long leaders

Anyone have a simple formula for long leaders? I want to make some 15-20ft leaders for lake fishing, but dont know how to go at it. Im trying to keep it simple with only 3-4 different sized piece, including the tippet. I don't really know much about making leaders, but i am guessing its going to be something like 20lb-10lb-8lb-6lbtippet. I just don't know how long each segment should be.

Thanks

For loch fishing I often exceed 20 feet. I don't bother with a "formula". It is overcomplicating the whole thing. Have you ever made 2 totally identical casting strokes? I doubt I have in the last 25 years. Making leaders to an inch perfect formula is only any advantage if your casting stroke is made by machine!

To make things simple I permanently attach a 9 foot knotless taper leader to my line (floating) which ends in 8 lb at the tip. If I only wanted a leader up to 18 feet I'd use a single piece of mono beyond that. For longer I'd put a step in it usually starting with 8 lb and dropping to 6 lb. Sometimes, if I want finer presentation, I'll go down to 4 lb.

This is a fairly typical set up for a lighter set up. The knotless tapered leader is super glued into the end of the fly line, making the smoothest connection possible. With a leader of this length you will have it passing through the rod rings often.

becdd339.jpg

This is how fishing with someone who wants to be so technical feels to me...

TechnoFishing_zps04d9a3b7.jpg

Cheers,

C.

Most leaders are tied with a formula of 60% butt section,20%mid section and 20% end section.So with those lines making a 20ft leader i would go something like 12 ft of 20 lb,4 ft of 10 lb and 4 ft of 8 lb then add tippet..If you want to include the tippet in the overall length and say the tippet is 9ft long you could do something like 7ft of 20lb,2 ft of 10 lb and 2 ft of 8lb then add tippet to get the 20ft.You could take the butt section and make it out of 3 1/2 ft of 20lb and 3 1/2 ft of 15lb.then 2 ft of 10lb and 2 ft of 8lb.Then add the 9ft tippet to get the 20 ft.Just know that as your butt section gets shorter (below 60%) and the tippet end gets longer it will be harder to cast.Tie a perfection loop in the butt end and connect all the segments with blood knots.Its not rocket science and dont have to be perfect.If one line is a few inches too long or short it wont matter.Just experiment with your lines and make something that works for you.Im sure there are different ways to make them but this is how i would do it.I don't make leaders this long.I fish for bass and panfish and my leaders are usually about 10-12 ft long.I dont use a tippet because the bass don't care.I have used 6ft leaders and they worked fine.I have made panfish leaders and used 4lb test for the end section.I make mine with mono line then make the last section with fluorocarbon line for the invisibility.I have also used a stright piece of fluorocarbon line and it works just fine.Hope this helps.