Fly Tying

My latest project:

post-12311-0-77624900-1446233612_thumb.jpg

Here I have used 6 ultraviolet LEDs (395 nm) in the wand:

post-12311-0-82123900-1446233637_thumb.jpg

The wand plugs into a small power supply which keeps the wand's output constant regardless of battery strength:

post-12311-0-40633100-1446233651_thumb.jpg

The wand is designed so that the fly, mounted in my vise, will sit right in the middle of the ring. A 5 to 10 second burst of UV completely and evenly polymerizes a 2 cm long nymph body coated with CCG. (My bottle of CCG is very old and I suspect a shorter UV treatment would be needed with fresh resin.)

Next I think I will build a slightly bigger wand with two rings set a few cm apart for curing larger flies like bass bugs, etc. Since the wand plugs into the power box, I could have a handful of wands ready for any situation imaginable. Truly Plug-N-Play!

awesomely nerdy cool.

what is the inside working diameter?

would a lightweight structurally sound wood fiber tube work as a shield to protect your eyes from stray uv exposure?

The inside working diameter of my prototype is about 14 mm (a bit more than 1/2 inch..) But there is no reason this couldn't be a bit larger or smaller to suit the needs of the tyer. A wood fiber tube of the correct diameter would work well for mounting the LEDs. (As you can see I used phenolic PCB for my substrate.)

post-12311-0-17002000-1446252279_thumb.jpg

I spent some time thinking of ways to block out the UV radiation. (Some of them quite elegant.) But in the end I decided there was no need unless the tyer was sharing space intimately with others. Once the wand has been positioned over/around the fly all you need do is close your eyes and press the button for 5-10 seconds.

Just two pieces of cardboard, one glued to each side, would be sufficient.

Like you said, though, not necessary.