Fly Tying

I've got a pair of LL Bean Crestas that I love. Fit great right out of the box (I have a very wide foot), lots of ankle support, very well made. Done a lot of hiking in Glacier, Grand Canyon, Arches, etc without a word of complaint from my feet.

Regards,

Scott

I had a pair of Raichle hiking boots for about 18 years - all leather, steel full shank etc that were bomb proof. Looked like these:

il_570xN.388052193_7vfe.jpg

About 6 years ago I bought a pair of Asolo boots that are much lighter, offer similar support with a ton more comfort. They are starting to show some wear, but I'm happy with the durability.aso_flamegtx_bark_lg.jpg

By the way, those images just came up in Google search - I'm not recommending the sites they are sourced from.

Lowa Tibet Boots. They are a little heavy, and pretty expensive, but great support and comfort. I've had a pair of these for about a year and no major complaints other than weight and rigidity.

Cabelas Perfekt Hiker by Meindl. Great boot. I have 2 pairs of these. Lighter weight than the Lowas.

A lot of the guys that do a ton of elk hunting like the Kenetrek boots. Never owned a pair though.

If you aren't on too much rocky ground, and don't do a lot of side hill walking, then I'd also recommend the Danner Pronghorn (all leather version). They are super light for a mid calf boot and pretty reasonable at $150 ish.