Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

Traditional alcoholic beverage???

A friend of mine is trying to recall a drink he once heard about. He believes it's a traditional beverage. It's made by adding a different fruit or alcohol each day for several days. He thinks it's British or Irish but has too little recall to know for sure.

Do any of you have knowledge of such a drink?

We think we found it ... Romtopf. Made out of all the berries and fruit that grows in Germany. Each fruit is added as it gets ripe, until the last of them are done. Sugar is also added from time to time to increase the alcohol content and flavor.

I agree, Kudu ... sounds good.

Anybody have any other obscure Holiday beverage concoctions?

Guest rich mc

there is another called glug takes a few days and when you eat the fruitit will put you on your a$$ rich

I think one time in college somebody made something, in one of those 5 gal. coolers with a tap, that had a bunch of fruit and some kind of alcohol in it. But for some reason my memory is fuzzy beyond that.

LOL Jay. Most likely, it was Sangria. Good tasting drink, but it's usually pretty tame in the "gets you drunk" department.

I was introduced to something called Purple Jesus at a Christmas party many years ago. Fairly simple, for a punch bowl a can of frozen grape juice, a can of frozen lemonade, a couple of bottles of ginger ale and a bottle of vodka, stir, add some orange and lemon slices and ice to the punch bow.. By the time I got to college I had refined it a bit for the end of the year party, held in the field by a house a couple friends rented on an old country road outside of Martin, TN. Small plastic unused garbage can, several cans of frozen lemonade, frozen lemonade and bottles of ginger ale. Minimum two bottles of PGA or moonshine. Very smooth.

My parents made something like Romtopf. They take either strawberries or peaches, slice them and put them into a gallon jar, add a bunch of sugar and let that sit for a few days, then add either 150 proof vodka or PGA. Let it sit for a couple of months than decant the mixture. Liquid into old sterilized brandy bottles and the fruit into mason jars. It was more of a dessert liqueur than an after dinner drink, but we always broke it out at Thanksgiving and Christmas. The fruit was great on vanilla ice cream. My dad died in 1984. My best friend got married in 1990. I was best man and I brought the last bottle, peach, to use for the wedding toast. Of course, we had to have a taste before the ceremony and some more on the way to the reception. We managed to save enough of the bottle so that the wedding party each had a small glass of clear amber liquid The toast was made to the newly weds and to my father's memory.

What I had was not Sangria. Definitely not wine based. I think It had Vodka or some other kind of clear liquor. Probably closer to that Purple Jesus, but I don't think it was purple. I just remember a lot of fruit floating in the cooler.

Haha yes, jaydub that is definitely jungle juice, made with vodka, rum, or tequila (or all of the above), which is pretty similar to what mike is describing. It won't gain any extra alcohol by adding sugar if it has liquor in it (because the alcohol content would be to high for natural yeasts), but if no liquors or yeast are added it would be some type of fruit lambic (potentially dangerous if you don't know what you're doing).

My favorite holiday drink is the swedish Glogg, a few bottles of good red wine in a kettle, throw in a few cinnamon sticks, some orange slices, cloves, coriander, and cardamon, warm it up without boiling for an hour or so and serve warm (It's great up here after a day in the cold snowy north Mike). Another one is chocolate wine and creme de menthe, a tasty little concoction dubbed the andies candy. I also make my own hard cider and beer and usually do one special for the holidays every year, I have a hopped cider that's been hiding in the basement since September that will get back-sweetened and bottled next week, it's a rough one though that came out around 9% alcohol almost apple wine rather than hard cider.